High idle when slow driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigbluechevy

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I have a 1987 Chevy 1 ton with a tbi 454 and when I am trying to drive at slow speeds or like around in a parking lot the idle takes some time to slow after you push the clutch in it won't return to idle fast enough.I have replaced the intake gaskets and tbi gaskets and the IAC and TPS.I havn't replaced the injectors yet i did replace the CTS because it needed a new plug.I have looked at everything that I can and it is still doing the same thing its also worse when its cold outside which don't make sense to me.Thanks Joey.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah like that - or maybe a sticky throttle cable or the actual throttle plate?

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Man mine did that awhile back but I can't remember what I did to fix it. Would just stay idled high when I clutched. Everybody thought it was a vacuum leak but I can't for the life of me remember.

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Foot under pedal.. lift up. Had a old truck like this until I replaced the throttle cable and springs.

bigbluechevy

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I have looked at the tbi and throttle cable and it all seems good.I can jumper the dia. connector out and seat the IAC and unplug it and rev the engine and it comes back to idle as soon as let off the throttle.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If the main throttle plate (and connected linkage) is moving freely and snapping consistently to the closed position - and you have checked this out many times - you could safely eliminate that system. Also you have replaced the IAC with a known good unit and checked for air leakage under the throttle plate.

Without considering bizarre scenarios, idle speed is mainly affected by air flow/volume.

You describe it as only happening while the truck is in motion. Are you sure that you can't duplicate this condition with the transmission in neutral and the truck motionless?

If you could do that, it would be much easier to identify what is allowing the excess air flow.

No codes showing, correct?

Try this to be sure it isn't an air leak under the plate:

Let the truck come down to normal idle. Shut it down. Disconnect the IAC electrically. Drive around like normal and see if the problem continues (you will have to control the idle speed manually with the main).

Then, the idle air control valve will be disabled and in the "parked" position (parked position = almost fully closed with only the minimum opening allowed). Consequently, any high idle condition can be isolated to air leakage under the throttle plate (i.e. intake, TB gaskets etc.) - but this is only true provided that the main throttle is definitely always closing fully when the accelerator is released.

If the idle no longer hangs up high - you can assume an IAC problem (either mechanically within the TB or a control issue from the ECM).

Last edited:

bigbluechevy

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Thanks for the info I never thought of just unplugging the IAC.I can't get it to do it just sitting and idling.I can rev the engine just sitting and it don't come back to idle right then it takes some time for it to come back down.I thought the new IAC went bad and the parts place I got it from replaced it and when I put it in and the pintle had the paint wore off pretty bad on one side of like its rubbing the side of the tb and making it slow coming back to idle but the new one is doing the same thing.What brand of IAC,TPS,CTS do you think is best this one is a standard ignition brand.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I can rev the engine just sitting and it don't come back to idle right then it takes some time for it to come back down.

Yeah, that's what I mean. This allows you to put your hands on any possible problem components while the engine is actually idling high - as opposed to just blindly checking stuff with no chance of getting a reaction (by reaction, I mean quickly dropping down to normal idle - faster than if it is allowed to come down own it's own).

Do that, and while it is still over-revving go to each associated connector and try shaking/pulling/wiggling the wiring in the harness that leads into the plug.

Do the same with any hoses that connect to the areas under the throttle.

Even though you ave inspected it, try forcing the throttle closed.

bigbluechevy

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I tried unplugging the IAC and it idled so fast I had to hook it back up.I set the base line idle not to long ago somewhere around 600-625 and its idling right at 750-800 its not even coming back to idle.The idle is not steady either its jumping around but thats about where it stays the most.Do you think I have a air leak around throttle plates with it idling like that?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Got a vacuum gauge?

bigbluechevy

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I don't have one but I think I can get one if you can tell what to get and what exactly what I need to do and what to look for.I was looking for a complete tbi and I found one from Rockauto so I can get it if it needs it.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Did you let it idle down to normal? Then, while it was idling steady and low, did you shut the truck down? And only then - after shutting down - did you disconnect the plug?

If you did it that way - and it still idled high - then yes; I would say you have an air leak somewhere.

Also - and this hasn't been discussed yet - low fuel pressure will cause a high/unstable idle. But when this condition is present, the ECM will generally set a lean code (like a 44) and you haven't reported any DTC's.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

bigbluechevy

Reaction score
First Name
Joey
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I think I might have found the problem yesterday the IAC is hanging up in the tbi its not seating back closed.I jumpered the dia. connector out and it took a good while for it to seat closed its like its going in at an angle and dragging on one side of the tbi its not centered in the tbi or the IAC has a lot of play in it I can't tell.Thanks for the info but would it be a good idea to get a gm IAC?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117