High Idle - Newbie seeks advice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Russman

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Greets!

I just got my engine replacement completed. Delays waiting on parts, COVID, you know the deal...delays. Anyway, I decided to cross my fingers and turn the key a couple of days ago. Fired right up! The sense of accomplishment that it actually started on the first try was awesome.

However, as soon as it started, it revs to (what sounds like) about 3K RPM, and I can't get it to idle down. The idle screw doesn't even touch the carb body (it's backed out so far), and there is no change in idle when I hold the choke plate open. My gut says that I may have un-metered air entering the engine somewhere (vacuum leak), but I can't seem to track it down. There is nothing reused in the swap, everything is new. I know that doesn't discount a leak, but I am just reaching out to see if I am looking in the right direction or if anyone knows of a C10 secret they would like to share.

Thanks in advance of any assistance guys. I have attached a pic of the swap so you can see what I am working with. If you would like pics from other angles (to aid in the advice) I would be thrilled to accommodate.

-Russ-

You must be registered for see images attach

Customblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Make sure your high idle screw isnt keeping your throttle open

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I have to assume this is a first start up and you admit that everything is brand new.
The timing could be so far advanced that it won't idle down. You try setting that?
Or at start up the fast idle cam could be set way too high. Where you able to kick off the fast idle?

You need to check things like that first.

Really nice looking engine by the way.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Nice looking motor

Russman

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for the pointers. I’ll have a chance to check it out today. Fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
Very simple solution! Disconnect everything from the engine and remove it from the c10. Be sure to cover all openings on engine. Then next week I'll come by and we can load that spanking engine in the back of my truck and I'll tote it back to Texas and you will no longer have to worry about the fast idle. Your problem solved!!! No need to thank me, I don't mind helping out a fellow Squarehead! I'll even bring some beer and herb if you'd like!!!! LOL:cheers: Lookin' good under that hood!!! Also nice choice on the Carb!!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice looking setup. Love the wire looms. Check the fast idle cam/linkage.

Russman

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks everyone! Life got in the way yesterday. I'll check out the cam linkage today. I appreciate all the complements. Now just need to get her to act right.

Russman

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Group win!!! It was exactly what everyone suggested, the fast idle cam. Thanks again for all the help. Now to get the exhaust worked out. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTP51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado half ton Stepside
Engine Size
Nice looking set up.

Latest posts