High hydrocarbons! Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brsslam

Reaction score
First Name
bryce
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Okay i have a 1986 Chevy k10 with a 350 in it. i took it to get the emissions done and I failed on the HC during idle. I was 103 over. But I passed on the high speed test. what can i do to bring it down? My truck has a 350 with a edelbrock 4 barrel carb on it and a MSD ignition system. thanks in advance! If there is any thing else you need please ask.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
The most likely causes are vacuum leaks and/or a burned out catalytic converter. If it's never been replaced I would suspect the cat, mine was a hollow shell after 15 years and 130K miles. Replacing it with a new aftermarket unit cut the HC and CO readings by more than 50%.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
High HC levels = unburned fuel in the exhaust gas stream = incomplete combustion.

Incomplete combustion is due to engine misfire - as a result of (in order of most to least common):

1. A weak or non-existent spark in one or more cylinders (coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc)

2. Excessively lean A/F ratio (either by intake manifold vacuum leaks or improperly adjusted carburetor)

3. Leaking exhaust valve(s) - (allows raw fuel to be blown right into the exhaust piping on the compression stroke)

4. Improper (usually over-advanced) ignition timing

5. Poor compression (normal reasons like rings/valves)

6. Overly rich A/F ratio (just too much fuel to allow for a complete burn-off)

So basically, excess HC levels are a good indicator that your engine is not operating at it's best. Start off checking/repairing the easiest/cheapest stuff first.

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
i had a 305 running a holley double pumper on an eddy performer intake,mild summit cam, headers 2.25 pipes into flows ... guy at the smog shop said i was pushing 3000 hc ...hahahaha... thing ran like a nascar ! merica!

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Move to a state that doesn't check emissions. IE, Kansas.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Lean the idle mixture down. Sometimes they will intentionally create a vacuum leak to get it to pass by pulling a vacuum line off something. New cat won't hurt either. I passed PA's strict sniffer with a $30 universal cat from Rock Auto.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB