Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyBoy84

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 silverado
Engine Size
so the other day i was driving to get a friend of mine and my truck decided it wanted to shut off on its own, got it refired and then the radio if i hit the brakes or hit a bump would shut off for a split second then come back on.... this morning on my way to work it died in the middle of a busy road... what could be causing this i have checked all my grounds, power cables, the wire that runs from the starter to the cab to power everything in there its all good and tight i even cleaned the battery cable ends please tell me someone else has had this happen before i searched but couldn't find anything about this issue...... really irritating me

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Whats you volt meter reading when this is happening?

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
It sounds like it would be an electrical condition but could very well be multiple things.

I know you said you check all the grounds and power wires, so My first thought would be what method did you use to test the grounds and power wires?

Also what happens when the truck dies? Does it loose all power to accessories?

ChevyBoy84

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 silverado
Engine Size
It sounds like it would be an electrical condition but could very well be multiple things.

I know you said you check all the grounds and power wires, so My first thought would be what method did you use to test the grounds and power wires?

Also what happens when the truck dies? Does it loose all power to accessories?

well i didn't exactly test them i unbolted them cleaned them reattached, yes when it dies everything shuts off accessories too, radio everything, the wire that runs from the starter has been fixed a couple of times before and its heatshrinked and taped around to allow no moisture to get to it... this is what puzzles me because there's times where i have nothing but i touch the wire and everything turns back on........ do i just splice into that wire again and redo it? or just run a whole new wire?

fredflinstone

Reaction score
First Name
fred
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The best way to test the wires are to remove both ends and test it for continuity. The reading on the ohmeter should be almost 0 ohms. This proves the wire is good.

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Did you check the battery terminals?

ChevyBoy84

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10 silverado
Engine Size
Checked wires with an ohm meter today they are all fine, cleaned battery termals yesterday, found another break in the blue wire from the starter to the ignition, cut, dielectric greased, butt connected and heat shrinked about 3 inches from the last break, upon further inspections there are a lot of splices that either A) po did or B) the po before him did. So its looking like IF my new fix as of today doesn't fix it its gonna be a rewire game with it, not looking forward to it but if I have to I will just to keep M8r on the road as my car is still sittng engineless in my moms garage

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Check the connection for that wire at the firewall side where all the wires from under the hood connect to the inside fuse box. I had the main power wire that feeds the fuse box at that connection point corrode and cause the problem you describe. If there is that many splices in your main power wire from you starter I would run a new wire, not keep trying to repair it.

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
well i didn't exactly test them i unbolted them cleaned them reattached, yes when it dies everything shuts off accessories too, radio everything, the wire that runs from the starter has been fixed a couple of times before and its heatshrinked and taped around to allow no moisture to get to it... this is what puzzles me because there's times where i have nothing but i touch the wire and everything turns back on........ do i just splice into that wire again and redo it? or just run a whole new wire?

If you touch a wire and everything turns on then that wire is your culprit. If you have more that 2-3 repairs I would defiantly replace it.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
If you touch a wire and everything turns on then that wire is your culprit. If you have more that 2-3 repairs I would defiantly replace it.

yea especially if the po had spliced it a bunch. probably bad connection. id replace the wire and be sure to resplice carefully (if the splices are for other connections obviously)