Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Aight, man, I did my head gaskets and the truck cranked up perfect, ran smooth, all that but timing was off. I cut off for the night and went to bed. 5 hours later I go outside this morning and it wouldnt crank. Backfire out of carb, compression sounded like it was coming back thru carb, etc. Readjusted the valves. SAME thing! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Does the timing chain have a lot of slack in it? Are you getting consistent spark?

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Not sure about the timing chain. It fired up everytime right off before the gasket change. Consistent spark, CHECK! Only thing I can think of is pull the valve covers and re-adjust rockers and re-set timing.

When Im adjusting the rockers if I set #1 at TDC Im suppose to be able to proceed along the firing order correct? Like #1 both lifters all the way down, go to #8 and set the intake lifter all the way down, etc? Thats how I did it.......... I know theres a list of which cylinders/valves you can adjust when #1 is at TDC and #6 is at TDC........ Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You sure you're not 180 degrees off?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I'm sure. Like I said it cranked but it ran rough, the headers get super hot, then it backfires out the carb

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Headers naturally get hot but if they got like cherry hot that tells me it is running lean. A vacuum leak will make it run lean (intake gasket, tbi gasket, etc) as well as backfire.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Could also be because of retarded timing. You may want to get a timing light on it to see where you are.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I got a light. Anybody got a image of where the marks are on a 90's model timing tab? And the groove in the balancer is what i should be lining up right?

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
TDC would be when the intake valve on #1 closes correct?

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
When the #1 intake is closed the piston can be tdc on the 1 or 6 cylinder..that's why i said your dist could be 180 off..only way to check is to pull the plug and stick something in there to see if the piston is tdc

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I got it set now. Just gotta get it dialed in with the light now. The groove in my balancer DOES NOT line up with the tab on timing cover. Thats what was throwing me off.

inbowhunter713

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yea the outer ring always seems to spin on the rubber. Glad you got it lined out!

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I got it set now. Just gotta get it dialed in with the light now. The groove in my balancer DOES NOT line up with the tab on timing cover. Thats what was throwing me off.

It could be that you have a cover that has the tab in the 2:30 o'clock position and an engine that came with a cover that the timing tab is in the 12 o'clock position. GM changed the tab position on the later model engines to 12 o'clock.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Timing_tabs_and_damper_TDC_lines_SBC

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
It could be that you have a cover that has the tab in the 2:30 o'clock position and an engine that came with a cover that the timing tab is in the 12 o'clock position. GM changed the tab position on the later model engines to 12 o'clock.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Timing_tabs_and_damper_TDC_lines_SBC

Yeah Ive read about that before. This engine came out of a 90 model but theres nothing saying the balancer is the factory one. It also could have slipped on there. This engine has over 100k on it so no tellin. I had a balancer come apart on a fox body 5.0 before. Youd think the car was fallin apart when it does especially with solid mounts lol.

I just had the valve covers off to adjust the valves again and before I put em back on I took out #1 spark plug and when the intake valve closed I put my finger over the hole and waited till the air stopped coming out.

Now I gotta find some gas for this thing lol. Money is tight right now!

:grd:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare