Hard Starting Now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sixstring

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
85 C30 454 Qjet. Please don't roast me but here's the scenario. New fuel pump, new passenger fuel tank and sending unit & new rubber lines. The left tank is shot and upon further reflection I should have put the new tank on the left side but it is what is at this point I bypassed the switcher valve all together just to get the truck back up and running. Fuel lines straight from the right tank to the fuel pump now. The vent hose off the tank is just venting to the outside air for right now. I got everything put together last night and shot some fuel down the tube on the carb and it cranked up and ran fine. I went to town and put some more fuel in the tank and then back home. Get up this morning & gonna drive it to work. I hit the gas pedal once like always and it fires up & runs for about 15 seconds dies and then wouldn't start. What have I done wrong at this point that anyone can tell me. This evening I'm going to shoot some fuel down the tube again and see if it will run. Is there some reason the pump (mechanical) is losing it's prime and won't pick fuel back up?

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Why did you start changing parts? Was your old pump bad? Is your new pump identical? Pull the feed line off the pump put a piece of rubber hose on it and drop it in a lawn mower can. Does the truck start now?

Sixstring

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
The truck had set for some years and I got it running but it died one morning on my way to work. I thought the fuel pump went bad so I put a new one on it but it still wouldn't start. I dropped a new hose in a gas can and started it and brought it home. I assumed the sending unit was clogging up so I decided if I'm gonna drop the tank I'm just going to replace it all new and make a one tank set up since it's a 20 gallon tank and the truck won't be driven far enough that I need more than 20 gallons at a time. That and I have fuel gauge issues I need to work out so I took the switcher valve out of the equation. I thought!?? LOL

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
What kind of fuel pump did you put on it? From the parts store or a e-bay chrome one? I have had alot of problems with the ebay ones. I wont buy them any more. Were you able to check the q jet to see if the squirters are squirting plenty of gas? Did you pull the feed line off and see if the pump is pumping a strong stream to the carb?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Clean out the fuel lines, cap the fuel supply line either pull vacuum or supply pressure so we can eliminate a leak in the supply line. Easiest way probably will be cap one end with a vacuum/ fuel pressure gauge,take the wand off a garden sprayer fix it into the other end with hose and clamps,pump it up see and if it holds pressure. Look for leaks with soap and water. Is that line good? Put new rubber hose at the tank end of that line and the pump end your problem should be gone

Last edited:

Sixstring

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
What kind of fuel pump did you put on it? From the parts store or a e-bay chrome one? I have had alot of problems with the ebay ones. I wont buy them any more. Were you able to check the q jet to see if the squirters are squirting plenty of gas? Did you pull the feed line off and see if the pump is pumping a strong stream to the carb?
It's an Oreilly Auto Part's Pump. Precision brand I believe. I've got several things to check when I get home this evening. Thank You for replying!

Last edited:

Sixstring

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Clean out the fuel lines, cap the fuel supply line either pull vacuum or supply pressure so we can eliminate a leak in the supply line. Easiest way probably will be cap one with a vacuum/ fuel pressure gauge,take the wand off a garden sprayer fix it into the other end with hose and clamps,pump it up see it holds pressure. Look for leaks with soap and water. Is that line good? Put new rubber hose at the tank end of that line and the pump end your problem should be gone
Will do Thank You!

Sixstring

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
To those that did, thanks for the replies. It's up and running. The issue was a kinked rubber fuel line.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef