Help with finding gaskets pleeeassee

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have separate my np208 from my sm465. I cant find the specific gaskets between the 465 and adapter or the gasket between the adapter and 208. When removing the 208 can i just drain the fluid from both and separate it between the tranny and adapter because i need to put in a new sm465 in? Then i only need one gasket correct? Now i've heard that these Gaskets are important because like head gaskets they compress to a certain thickness for proper clearances. But would it hurt anything to rtv it? As always any and all input is appreciated.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
You can RTV them. It wont hurt anything except it may leak if only using RTV. You can get sheets of gasket material in 9x11 just use the thin stuff and make your own gaskets and apply RTV lightly to both sides.

Put the adapter on a flat surface, lay the gasket sheet on top and with a small hammer just gently tap around the edges both inside and outside to make an impression of the shape onto the gasket material. repeat several times and the egde of the adapter will actually cut the gasket out for you then just use an exacto to cut out the bolt holes.

Do the same thing for both sides of the adapter and don't forget to use Loctite on the bolts when reinstalling the adapter and transfer case

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Yes. Do not use cork. Use the thinnest stuff.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ebay seems to be a good place to find t-case gaskets.

I often make them with the paper sheets too. Sometimes you can manage to get the old gasket off in one piece, then you can lay it on the gasket paper and spray paint it. Lift the gasket off, let the paint dry a few minutes, then get to cutting along the painted edges with a razor blade.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ebay seems to be a good place to find t-case gaskets.

I often make them with the paper sheets too. Sometimes you can manage to get the old gasket off in one piece, then you can lay it on the gasket paper and spray paint it. Lift the gasket off, let the paint dry a few minutes, then get to cutting along the painted edges with a razor blade.

I found just by accident that it takes like 1 1/2 min to do it with the hammer and its a perfect fit every time.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Either way seems smart im going to try ebay and amazon to see if i can find those sheets reasonably cheap

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I found just by accident that it takes like 1 1/2 min to do it with the hammer and its a perfect fit every time.

I've heard of doing it that way, just don't remember ever trying it. It sounded time consuming, lol.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I've heard of doing it that way, just don't remember ever trying it. It sounded time consuming, lol.

Ya I know. lol but its actually really quite a slick way to do it. It literally takes no time at all and it comes out perfect!

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I usually tap out the bolt holes first, then, install several bolts to keep it from wiggling around, then, tap out around the edges.
Sometimes I will contact cement the surface the gasket will be fitting to, contact cement the piece of gasket material, allow both to air dry for a minute or two, set the gasket material onto the surface, make sure it is stuck real good then, tap,tap, tap away.
Does`nt take long at all.
parts houses usually carry whatever thickness of gasket material might be needed, they will cit off of their roll how ever many feets of the stuff You would desire. Not really that expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe