Help with a dodge 1 ton.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
So I have a co worker that just got hired on so he's looking at about a month before he gets a paycheck. The guy just moved from far away and its his only ride to work so I could tell he was stressing out about his truck. I did not want to see him get bent over by a local garage so I figured I would try to help him out since I got a few days off.

So the details are, its an 03 Dodge 3500 4x4. He said it was squealing and he thought it was brakes so he did a quickie brake job on it which I think means he stuck some new pads in the calipers. I looked at it after work and could see some twisted up metal stuff coming from around where the inner hub seal was. I told him to follow me about a mile to my in laws house, when he pulled into the drive way the son of a bitch was damn near on fire and the tire wheel assembly looked like it was about to fall off. It pulled the inner axle out from the differential about an inch.

My main question is, will this axle have a similar design with spanner nuts holding the hub on? With the amount of damage thats already happened is it possible to pull off the hubs and put new bearings+ races in the hub and get him on the road again? If it does have spanner nuts will my the socket I have for my K1500 fit the spanner nuts?

Thanks for looking dudes!

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
One piece hub it looks like.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yeah, it's a unit bearing that bolts on to the steering knuckle.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Yeah, it's a unit bearing that bolts on to the steering knuckle.

What are my chances of getting the two units separated with basic hand tools? I know you come from a rusty truck part of the nation but this is an Az truck. I read one something about a guy removing the knuckle and having the bearing pressed out, I was planning on just smacking the inner splined axle shaft with a hammer and punch and tapping it out with a hammer.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This takes me back to the dreaded old late 70's Dodge trucks with the bolt on non-adjustable bolt on the fuggin knuckle bearings sets I was tortured with.

Posted from mobile...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squareframe