Help!!! Removing House Paint???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86Apache

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Marvin
Truck Year
79 , 86 , 82
Truck Model
C10's ,K20
Engine Size
250 six, 350's
Dustless blasting??

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I've used Goof Off on old paint with good success.
Goof off does work great. For whatever reason, the can says do not use on large areas...

Definitely worth a go. Home Depot has it by the gallon.

Nathan

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well guys I finally found something that works pretty good. Master Pro Automotive Paint Stripper at o'Reilly's. It's a time consuming process but worth it for the results. I started with the hood because it was already off the truck and easy to get to. Brush it on really thick because the house paint seemed to soak it up, then crack open a beer and watch your favorite TV show for 45minutes to an hour then go back and scrape it all off. Took about two applications to get the hood to bare metal but all depends on how thick the paint is. This is some nasty stuff and definitely recommend a well ventilated garage or do it outside. A mask is a must because the fumes are pretty strong, worse than paint, I'm sure those dust masks would work but I broke out the respirator. I would post pics if I could figure out how on this site. Best of luck to anyone going through the same problem definitely worth giving this stuff a try.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
It took the factory primer off too? thats something

Nathan

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It took the factory primer off too? thats something

Yup factory primer too.. the only thing it doesnt take off very well is body filler. For some reason previous owner skim coated some of the hood with body filler and the paint seems to stick on those parts a little better. But it took off the majority of it and got it to the point where its manageable to sand or hit it with a paint removing wheel to finish it up

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
I would post pics if I could figure out how on this site. Best of luck to anyone going through the same problem definitely worth giving this stuff a try.

Posting pics is easy.
When ready, select "Upload File" at bottom right of post.
Select location,
select file to upload,
left click pic then left click open,
or double left click pic and it will upload

Easy peasy!!!!LOL

73454GMC

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1973,79,80, 84
Truck Model
Engine Size
Soda Blast it. And I don't mean one of those cheesy units from Harbor Freight. Check the web for a soda blaster in your area. They'll be able to strip your entire truck in a few hours. It might cost a couple hundred bucks or so but you'll save one hell of a lot on sand paper and stripper plus you won't have to deal with the aggravation of the job.

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
I had something like this.on a vehicle.i used a good brand rubbing compound

With a rag.lots of rags.and lots of rubbing.use it put it on heavy.so it will soak in to the paint.

I only had to do.doors and front fenders.it took part of a day.so if you go this route.to get that paint off.

You are looking at some time.if you sand.you going to ruin what ever is under.if you are going to

Go to mental.just pay a body shop.to sand the whole body down and spray prime the vehicle and then.if you want

You can have it painted.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Body filler will soak up any stripper and cause your new paint to bubble.

You have to remove the old filler too.

I like MEK.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90sBurb