Help!!! Removing House Paint???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I'm in the process of fixing up my 84 K10 to be used as a work truck and winter driver. So far I've converted it to a 4 speed bulldog trans, lifted it 4 inches, whole new front suspension, and fixed most of the leaks. So I saved the best for last. The previous owner painted it with red house paint and to add insult to injury it was brushed on. Needless to say I'm having a time removing the house paint, I tried sanding and aircraft paint stripper but nothing seems to work. Some pieces of it just blew off with the pressure washer but most of it is really on there. It doesnt have to be absolutley perfect because I'm painting it with raptor liner bed liner. So any ideas on how to get this house paint off????

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Try regular Poly Strippa... I would imagine aircraft strippe is for aircraft paint... long shot from house paint.
Do you mean latex???
Maybe you just need coarser sand paper! Bring our the 60 grit!

Oh and welcome to the site!

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

The PO of mine had brush painted on it too in some areas and haven't figured out how to remove it. Do not know what type it is. So I will be watching this thread for future ideas.

Nathan

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'll try that Poly strippa. The aircraft striper is just a brand I think, works good on regular vehicle paint but not so much on house paint. I do believe its latex based. I hit it with 80 grit and it was painfully slow just hoping I could find something to speed up the process.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Perhaps check with a paint store for latex specific remover... maybe this exists, I'm not sure.
Switch to 50 grit and get angry maybe the best solution.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Heat gun?

Paladin

"Teufelshunde"
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Silverado Crew Cab Dually
Engine Size
That's easy, just wait until summer, buy plenty of sandpaper, hire 2-3 strippers to come over after making sure the missus is out of town visiting her folks, pull chaise lounge around so you can be comfortable while supervising, turn on sprinkler system to keep removed paint washed of and to keep strippers from getting sunburned, put cooler full of beer next to chaise, kick back and enjoy ! :cheers:

Nathan

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's easy, just wait until summer, buy plenty of sandpaper, hire 2-3 strippers to come over after making sure the missus is out of town visiting her folks, pull chaise lounge around so you can be comfortable while supervising, turn on sprinkler system to keep removed paint washed of and to keep strippers from getting sunburned, put cooler full of beer next to chaise, kick back and enjoy ! :cheers:

Haha this is the best advice yet!!! As much as I hate the thoughts I guess I'll be spending alot of weekends sanding, I was hoping someone had found something that helps with removing it. Short of having the whole thing media blasted I guess the only option is 50 grit and alot of elbow grease.

DanMcG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
1978 1985
Truck Model
k10 k10
Engine Size
400 350
try rubbing alcohol..

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I keep thinking that the latex is just going to get gummy, and load up the sand paper. Have you by chance spoken to any actual house paint stores to see what they recommend for removal? And by paint store, I don't mean the big box stores, I mean a store that only sells house paint.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Try a paint remover on your angle grinder. It looks almost like a sponge, but it’s hard.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have a paint remover that I use on old doors where sand paper may destroy detail work. It heats the paint past the point of hardening to where it begins to lose adhesion and shrivel up. It’s only 6”x 14” and would take patience. Each spot takes about a minute to get soft.

Nathan

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes my issue seems to be that it does gum up sand paper. But those paint remover wheels do work really good they just don't last very long and I have an entire truck to do. I do have a heat gun that gets really hot that I'm thinking about trying out to see if itll heat up to where the paint releases. Will post results if the heat gun works. Thanks for all the input guys..

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Could try some lacquer thinner. I have used some on some handles for a cabinet that were painted with house paint and it bubbled it right off. They were chrome plated so that might make a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK