HELP!!! New valve springs, but my oil seals won't fit....now what??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Pretty standard numbers even in aftermarket heads. My brother had a 6xxci bb in his malibu and if I remember correctly those were the same measurements he gave. He went with a local shop and had them machine the guides and install the whole shabang. I think he went with brass liners in the guides too. Ran about two years on heavy shots of funny gas before walking the crank and the heads were still solid except one nicked valve.

I gotta give ya credit for wanting to tackle this yourself. I dont shy away from much but I do defer the machine work to the guys doing it every day. I've learned just enough to stay out of their ear and outta their way,LOL. I trade work with a couple of old curmudgeons that have been doing this so long they dont understand why we all dont know it all by now. I just nod and smile

Yes, I totally understand where you are coming from!

Comp Cams, and Summit Racing do carry the cutters and the arbor to chuck them up into a cordless/drill to do an at home job, and the arbor is the same O.D. as the I.D. of the valve guides. I would have to roll each cylinder up to TDC so the valve can rest on the piston while using something like that however, and obviously cover the ever loving crap out of everything to keep all debris in one place, and setup my shop-vac on a jig so when its cut all the shavings go into that too. I would feel confident doing this myself, but I know exactly what you mean....one little tiny shaving going into the block in that tiny spot you didn't see, and the cost of the rebuild down the road went way up...

All I know is if I spend more money on this truck, engine...etc.....holy crap, I think my wife would scream at me! I am already way overy my planned budget on this build :favorites37:

I will contact a local engine builder and see what I can have done, and for how much!

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
@OldBlueDually , Justin, I am in the "old timer" category and I have done that before with people. Just this morning I set up the front end on an old friends 13 Chev 1500 4wd. He saw a piece in my vise that I was going to weld until my welder wouldn't turn on(switch?). Anyway he said what you doing with that . Told him was gonna weld it til my machine wouldn't work. He says "I'll take it home weld it and bring it back". OK we are even!!!!! That's usually the way it works around here......barter and trade

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm