HELP!!! New valve springs, but my oil seals won't fit....now what??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
I am now stopped on my engine work. I am trying to get my 1969 Olds 455 ready for my 76 GMC, however I put in the new comp cams Thumpr cam, and I opened up my new comp cams valve springs (dual) from summit racing (part# 995-16) and now my umbrella style oil seals will not fit inside of the dual spring.

I text summit because they are closed, and have not received a response but I want to keep going on this thing and cant. Comp cams is also not open.

I did removed one umbrella from a valve stem and the springs went on, but I cannot run it without valve seals...not sure what to do now.

Any of you guys had to deal with this? If so what do I need to do?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Disclaimer, I'm not an engine builder...

If you don't want to have the guides cut for a smaller valve seal, you may have to pick a single spring set that meets the same specs as your current dual springs.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Thanks for the info. I will surf around and see if I find something. Kind of a bummer, but this gives me some time to prep the block for paint so I guess its not the end of the world. I really wanted to get this part done and be finished, but what fun would it be if everything went as you think it should!!

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
What is the ID on your inner spring?

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
What is the ID on your inner spring?

That is .697

I contacted Comp Cams this morning and I need to purchase a few different things. I learned more over the weekend talking to a few people than I cared to learn :D

So, I need to degree the cam (never have done this, I usually set by timing gear marks), so I need to update my timing chain and gears to double roller style. I also need to borrow a friends degree wheel, and make a gizmo to insert into the spark plug hole to run the piston up to for this task.

I also need to purchase a valve guide cutting tool so I can cut down the guides to fit the new style oil seals that will fit within the new inner springs.

To top it off I also get to purchase new gaskets (again!!!) because I have already put on my intake, and my timing chain cover. This time however I will be removing the oil pan too so I can also put a new gasket there.

If I would have known all the above before doing this cam/spring swap.....I still would have done it!! :Big Laugh:

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Dont feel bad. Im replacing a cam in a motor thats not even fully broken in( still has second round of break in oil) because its going in another vehicle with different goals. So all the gaskets and such as well.

Yeah so smallest umbrella ive seen is .870

If I would have known all the above before doing this cam/spring swap.....I still would have done it!! :Big Laugh:

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Dont feel bad. Im replacing a cam in a motor thats not even fully broken in( still has second round of break in oil) because its going in another vehicle with different goals. So all the gaskets and such as well.

Yeah so smallest umbrella ive seen is .870

They suggest I use the PTFE seals, but after reading reviews it looks like they suck. I would rather use the Viton type seals if I can find some with an O.D. that would fit nicely with the I.D. of the inner spring (.697)...and I believe my valve stems are the 11/32 ('69 Olds Rocket 455).....but I need to verify that too.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
When I had my heads reworked on the 454 swap I'm doing I had them put new guides in, add rotator eliminators, valve job, and machine the guides for more clearance and the viton positive lock seals. I haven't gotten the motor together yet to be able to say it works well, but it had no problem clearing the 454 HO double valve springs. The vortec 454 heads don't really flow any more after .500, but I wanted to make sure I had room for a bigger cam if things change in the future.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
comp #529 seal has a .675" OD and fits 11/32" valves and .530" OD guides.

OldBlueDually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
1976 GMC
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
455 Olds
Mine are NOT .530 currently. They are .575/.577 O.D., so it would have to go down to .530.....I am learning, never ripped into an engine to do this stuff before, mostly have done stock or mild builds.

The valve stem is .343/344 (11/32).

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Mine are NOT .530 currently. They are .575/.577 O.D., so it would have to go down to .530.....I am learning, never ripped into an engine to do this stuff before, mostly have done stock or mild builds.

The valve stem is .343/344 (11/32).

Pretty standard numbers even in aftermarket heads. My brother had a 6xxci bb in his malibu and if I remember correctly those were the same measurements he gave. He went with a local shop and had them machine the guides and install the whole shabang. I think he went with brass liners in the guides too. Ran about two years on heavy shots of funny gas before walking the crank and the heads were still solid except one nicked valve.

I gotta give ya credit for wanting to tackle this yourself. I dont shy away from much but I do defer the machine work to the guys doing it every day. I've learned just enough to stay out of their ear and outta their way,LOL. I trade work with a couple of old curmudgeons that have been doing this so long they dont understand why we all dont know it all by now. I just nod and smile

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
@idahovette
There is in fact always a cost. Im lucky to have found a couple of ole timers who would rather do what they know( machine work) and let me handle what they dont want to( pressure washing the parking lot,building and shop floor this last round) Ive made similar barters with them in the past and usually come out all right.

In my case the peace of mind is worth the cost regardless. It may cost me more in the end if I do it,LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakebr8k