Help Needed on Wiper/Washer Wiring-Introduction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CBT83

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
New to the forum, and some good info on here. I need some help.

Truck is an 1983 C-10 4x2 with 250-i6. This is a pretty clean project truck for my son who will be driving in 6 months. One of a few issues it has is with the wiper/washer. The OEM part was working fine but not the washer. I purchase an OEM replacement and installed it on the truck. Soon as we hooked it up and tried it, it smoked the washer solenoid in the assembly. I pulled the old unit apart and found that this solenoid seems to still be good. All the cam etc is gone and I suspect the PO removed it when they try to tie in an electric pump. There is continuity between the two posts(old solenoid) so I swapped out the one I fried with the old one that seems to still be good.

When we had installed the new unit, my son had not tightened the 3 bolts. I suspect it did not ground and it was part of the park connection that may have toasted it all. So I want to try my "fix" with the old units solenoid BUT I want to know how to test the switch to prevent frying another solenoid. The wires that connect to the washer is one hot and one ground(from the switch). The other two electrical plugs can only go on one way. The one for the washer can go either way....

So for the experts on the forum:
How can I properly test the wiper/washer switch and which wire(pink or yellow) goes with what terminal on the washer?

I am thinking either the bad ground or reversed connection fried the new washer pump circuit. This is an OEM replacement with mechanical pump. I figured that if the wires were reversed it would just work reverse of the correct way(DC voltage) but I want to make sure it is correct. Not sure why the other two plugs would be "keyed" for proper connection and this one is not.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Some washer diagnostic info:
You must be registered for see images attach

CBT83

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you for the help Chengny, that is what I was looking for. I will get back on it tonight hopefully if time allows. I did verify that the one wire has 12V and the other grounds when the switch is pushed, although it did not ground out completely according to my multimeter. it was .53 or so instead of .00. I kind of thought that was odd. The new(old) coil has continuity between both posts so that tells me it is good to go. We shall see.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have a similar issue with my delay wipers in my 78. The washer does not work when the switch is pressed but the wipers do wipe as if it has sprayed.

CBT83

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just an update as I was gone for a few days. Swapped the old park/washer solenoid on to the new set-up. Verified the wiring and checked the switch. Hooked it up, no smoke, but no spray either. Ended up priming the pump and everything works as it should. Thanks for the help from all those that contributed.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Just an update as I was gone for a few days. Swapped the old park/washer solenoid on to the new set-up. Verified the wiring and checked the switch. Hooked it up, no smoke, but no spray either. Ended up priming the pump and everything works as it should. Thanks for the help from all those that contributed.
How did you prime the pump?

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
If you have an air source and are VERY VERY Careful you can pressurize the PLASTIC W/S washer bottle to prime it. Takes very little pressure be careful!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84