Help identifying suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Onelinez

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So, I have a 1976 K10. And the person that I bought if from didn't know much about the truck. I know that it has a lift on it and was wondering if anyone could help me with identifying the springs, etc... The rear shocks are the what the stock configuration requires (I measured them) but they are fully extended at the top of the shock travel and it rides like crap and clunks like crazy when going over bumps. I would like to have as good of a ride as I can get...knowing that it's a K10 and it's not going to ride near as nice as it's C10 counterparts.
You must be registered for see images attach

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
The front springs look relatively flat which makes me think 2.5" / 3" lift BUT the rear appears to have 4" tall blocks.

That said, a stock truck will measure approx 8.5" between the top of the front axle tube and the bottom of the frame. Any difference is the amount of lift.

Ex: measurement is 14.5"
14.5" (actual) - 8.5" (stock) = 6" (lift)

Onelinez

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ahh...I'll go out and measure things. That is awesome information! Thank you so much nvrenuf!! I should have posted a picture of the truck and how it sits.
I got 10" in the front. So, 1.5" of lift...that sounds kinda small.

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
What size are those tires?
And sweet looking truck btw!

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It will probably ride much better with some appropriately sized shocks. I agree, it looks like a 4" lift

Onelinez

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
It will probably ride much better with some appropriately sized shocks. I agree, it looks like a 4" lift
By appropriate sized…Something along the line’s of 21.5” extended? Trying to get some ideas on what others are using.

Onelinez

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ahh...I'll go out and measure things. That is awesome information! Thank you so much nvrenuf!! I should have posted a picture of the truck and how it sits.
I got 10" in the front. So, 1.5" of lift...that sounds kinda small.
Are you measuring from the top of the axle tube or the top of the springs, or maybe the edge of the diff housing? The way it sits looks to be about 3" to me

BTW my wife says 1.5" is just right

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I agree, not a ton of lift but definitely more than 1.5”.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
By appropriate sized…Something along the line’s of 21.5” extended? Trying to get some ideas on what others are using.
I’m using Tuff country shocks from ORD. They have a chart that tells you what shock to use for a certain amount of lift. You can also do it the right way and disconnect the current shocks, measure the length at rest, then lift the truck by the frame until the axles are just dead hanging with no shock attached. Measure it again and just call a shock manufacturer with those numbers. They can give you a shock recommendation based on those measurements.

Onelinez

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So...I am reviving this thread because I want to put 4" leaf springs on the front. Would anyone recommend just doing the leaf springs in the front (I have new shocks for a 4" lift)? What else am I going to need (ie. drop pitman arm, etc..)

Thanks for any help!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It looks to me like you have 4 inch springs already. Maybe sagged slightly. So it will basically be a direct replacement to go with softer 4" springs, assuming there is already a raised steering arm installed. In the pictures earlier, I can't tell.

Onelinez

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thank you for the reply...and sorry it took me so long to get back. Been out of town on business...
Anyway - I have attached a picture of the steering arm (which looks to be raised). The reason for wanting to replace the springs is that in an earlier post it appeared they were maybe 2-3" lift springs. As you can see from the picture the tire has been rubbing on the front drag link. As much as I hated to do it I had some 1" wheel spacers laying around and those moved the wheels out enough to clear that drag link. Now my issue is that it's rubbing on base of the fender.

Attachments

• IMG_2081.jpg
    IMG_2081.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128