Hello from Michigan!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OlRed

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
pending
Truck Model
pending
Engine Size
pending
hello, I stumbled across this looking for info for a turbo upgrade for a 6.2 in an 84 Chevy short box pickup I am looking at buying, not only because I want a daily driver that gets good MPG's, but becasue it is my late grandfathers truck's younger brother. I am not new to forums, you may know me from GMT400, I have the 89 long box with the 383 stroker motor. Looking forward to posting here.. thanks.

Below are pictures of the truck I am looking at aswell as one of my grandpa's 73? Cheyenne a week after completing a frame-off restoration. . Its a recent restoration, just over 100k miles.

You must be registered for see images

thanks

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
thats a nice truck i would buy it if i found one like it and welcome

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Welcome!

The turbo project sounds really interesting, I was on the diesel idea for a while and read some interesting stuff. Somewhere I read that a guy was boosting twice what would be considered too much boost just to see how long the 6.2 would take it.

Are you going to go with the banks sidewinder kit or factory stuff off a 6.5?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Welcome aboard. :grd:

OlRed

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
pending
Truck Model
pending
Engine Size
pending
Welcome!

The turbo project sounds really interesting, I was on the diesel idea for a while and read some interesting stuff. Somewhere I read that a guy was boosting twice what would be considered too much boost just to see how long the 6.2 would take it.

Are you going to go with the banks sidewinder kit or factory stuff off a 6.5?

Not sure yet what I want to do. I believe the Banks turbo is a bit larger thann a 6.5's stock turbo? my best friend has a 1500 with a 6.5 and it's turbo looks small enough to palm :think: but One second thought, I would think a 6.5 kit would be much cheaper, and pretty much a bolt on modification, correct?

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Not sure yet what I want to do. I believe the Banks turbo is a bit larger thann a 6.5's stock turbo? my best friend has a 1500 with a 6.5 and it's turbo looks small enough to palm :think: but One second thought, I would think a 6.5 kit would be much cheaper, and pretty much a bolt on modification, correct?

From everything I read you can take all the stuff off the 6.5 and bolt it right onto the 6.2, I think you have to tap something and run an oil feed line but other than that its all compatible.

From everything I gathered about it the turbo kits is they will take a 6.2 to about the same power as a stock 350 but you also get the same mileage as a 350. I was going to transplant one into my truck out of a Suburban a couple years ago for mileage. I drove the donor suburban around and for a naturally aspirated diesel motor it had plenty of power for me so I stopped reading about the turbo upgrades, why not just get a 350?!

OlRed

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
pending
Truck Model
pending
Engine Size
pending
From everything I read you can take all the stuff off the 6.5 and bolt it right onto the 6.2, I think you have to tap something and run an oil feed line but other than that its all compatible.

From everything I gathered about it the turbo kits is they will take a 6.2 to about the same power as a stock 350 but you also get the same mileage as a 350. I was going to transplant one into my truck out of a Suburban a couple years ago for mileage. I drove the donor suburban around and for a naturally aspirated diesel motor it had plenty of power for me so I stopped reading about the turbo upgrades, why not just get a 350?!

I had an 86 burby beater i drove ill the tranny stopped shifting, found out the tc was blown, aswell as the output shaft was nearly rounded off. decded to part it out nd give what was good a second chance at life. ever since then i have always wanted another diesel

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I had an 86 burby beater i drove ill the tranny stopped shifting, found out the tc was blown, aswell as the output shaft was nearly rounded off. decded to part it out nd give what was good a second chance at life. ever since then i have always wanted another diesel

shoot man, you should have saved the 6.2! I hardly see them, and the ones you do find are not even usable.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!

OlRed

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
pending
Truck Model
pending
Engine Size
pending
shoot man, you should have saved the 6.2! I hardly see them, and the ones you do find are not even usable.
did. stuck it in a Tahoe i bought with a blown 350tbi. a friend of mine is now driving the tahoe, and shes still running strong

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
did. stuck it in a Tahoe i bought with a blown 350tbi. a friend of mine is now driving the tahoe, and shes still running strong

Next time you change oil on it get a bottle of sea foam and put half of it in the crankcase and the other half in the fuel tank. I did that to our suburban and it had a very noticeable difference in noise. We had it started and running before changing the oil and it was clattering like crazy (most of them sound like that). After a few minutes of running sea foam it was really smooth and sounded like a brand new engine.

There is also a worthwhile mod for the glow plug controller if you start having problems with it starting this winter. It involves a ford controller for a powerstroke that costs about 20 bucks and is a huge improvment over the factory GM one, also found that rockauto.com sells new glowplugs for like 10 bucks a pop. There was a video on another forum of a dude starting his in negative degree weather with no effort.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Nice looking SWB... Welcome aboard.

Uriel

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Where abouts in michigan are you? I'm in mt pleasant and going to cmu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pugs Speed Shop