heater issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fender89

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
so now that its -15 out i guess i need heat. only blowing lukewarm out of vents. i checked coolant levels are good. top of the radiator. both hoses running to the core are hot. i took them off today and flushed out both ways. still not blowing anything but lukewarm. from my understanding its a super simple design, hot coolant flows thru a radiatior, fan blows over it and creates heat. if when i flush it comes out both ways just fine where is the problem?

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If it has an underhood heater control it coukd be stuck.But my 77 K10 doesnt have one.I'm gonna flush heater core soon.If good airflows coming from floor vent, core may still need replaced, if outside surface of core is caked with dirt and crud.Regardless of hose temps.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Is there a discernable temperature difference between the two heater hoses when hot and set to max? If it's a lot, maybe then the core is plugged or the valve is the restriction. Try cardboard in front of radiator.

fender89

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
there is no hot water valve on the hose. i checked the the thermostat and its working. main rad hose was cold and hot . i guess i gotta replace the core..

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
could also be a blend door issue if the outside of the heater core isn't covered and preventing air flow? not sure about the earlier systems, though. I have a 1990. but something to look into. you can get a better view of some of it by removing the glovebox. depending on your system. their may also be a part of the ductwork under the glovebox that ks easily removed to check out the ble d door action

fender89

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i took apart everything under dash to get visual access to the blend door function. it seems to be sitting all the way in the hot position....i think

87gmcburb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Sierra Classic Suburban
so now that its -15 out i guess i need heat. only blowing lukewarm out of vents. i checked coolant levels are good. top of the radiator. both hoses running to the core are hot. i took them off today and flushed out both ways. still not blowing anything but lukewarm. from my understanding its a super simple design, hot coolant flows thru a radiatior, fan blows over it and creates heat. if when i flush it comes out both ways just fine where is the problem?
I had same issues in the past. I would strongly suggest looking at the blend door clip. OEM is cheap plastic and all 5 of my SB had broken ones. Here is a pic of one from the part guy.com. They sell an aluminum one. If you go this far get a rebuild kit and replace the seals, vacuum lines and vacuum check all of your actuators.

Attachments

• HEATER_BOX_DOOR_CLIP_GMHeaterBoxBlendAir-to-VacuumActuatorConnectorClip(5).jpg
    HEATER_BOX_DOOR_CLIP_GMHeaterBoxBlendAir-to-VacuumActuatorConnectorClip(5).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 31

fender89

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
i have removed the heater box to get a closer look. the blend door is functioning fine no debris in there and the heater core is newish. guy i bought the truck from replaced it in 2017 it looks.. now im at a loss. wtf

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
Is the vacuum line to the firewall still in place?

I think that's necessary to get everything functioning properly, and I don't see it mentioned above.

fender89

Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
At this point I'm thinking thermostat stuck. Just got one in town putting on later today

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad