Heat and sound insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texas Agman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

I am nearing the end of my "freshening up" project for my 85 C10 Silverado and need some recommendations for insulation under the carpets. All of the usual supply houses offer insulation and the prices and tech levels vary greatly. If you have installed insulation and it worked so well that you are glad that you took the time to do it, please let me know what you used and where you found it. Our Texas weather offers high heat in the summer and lots of real cold days in the winter. Insulating the sounds from these crappy roads would be great also. I'm not trying to make a purse out of a sow's ear with this old truck, but I AM interested in improving the overall driving experience.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I like closed cell foam. like what old backpacking pads are made out of. in fact a military surplus store might have some. highdesertranger

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have used the vibration absorbing mat with closed cell foam and factory jute pad on top. I am planning to add high density mat on top of foam to get better results, but I did notice improvement. Also sprayed rubber undercoating in rear wheel wells. Doors also have mat and foam. I am now getting most noise through windows and there is not much that can be done there.

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
I layered the floor of my 87 cab with a product call Bituthene. Its used for waterproofing, insulating and sound deadening. It has worked extremely well (I double layered) and reinstalled the oem soundmat on top. Here in Phoenix aka the surface of the sun...heat is definately an issue. Its also works well at keeping the cab quiet too.

Texas Agman

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

Thanks, guys. You've helped me a lot. This flooring project is a first for me. I just wanted to do the job one time and have it fixed for good. Really like this squares forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76