Insulation on a Budget

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, or as my father used to say, " if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right". I suggest using the correct materials for the job.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Noico is good stuff. I've used it extensively. Made in the Russian Federation lol.

Keep in mind, that type of butyl-based mass-backed material is only necessary in small amounts to be effective. It's purpose is to add mass to panels in order to change their resonant frequency. So 100% coverage is actually overkill and extra weight. Don't get me wrong, I've done it trying to get that "TV show look". Using small squares on resonant panels (knock on them to see) to change their resonance works just as well, and saves a lot on material.

For sound insulation, you really want to be looking at Mass-Loaded Vinyl or MLV. It works really well at blocking sounds from passing through. This is where you want 100% coverage. It's thick, heavy stuff and does not bend well, but it is the best for sound deadening. I used some stuff I found at Lowes that's designed for insulating behind drywall. Nothing sticks to it, so don't expect to be able to tape it or anything, and like I said it can be a pain to form around sheetmetal. It is also recommended to use a closed-cell foam separating layer between the MLV and the butyl Noico stuff. Noico sells this material as well. It's dirt cheap.

Finally, replace your carpet with one that has mass padding attached. It's the finishing touch. And do yourself a favor. Skip the cheap ACC carpet and get their better Essex plush carpet. IT IS SO MUCH NICER.

I did all of this about 5 years ago on my truck (there is a thread around here somewhere) and it works very well. I also used a similar approach on my Camaro.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@RustCollector,

When I rebuilt my truck I used this jute stuff with a foil backing. It worked real well in both sound deadening and blocking heat. It jute was 3/8" thick. Now there were two different types back then, you could get the kind that had foil backing on both sides and obviously had the jute in between, or like I had with just the one side foil covered.

Attachments

• jute insulation 001.jpg
    jute insulation 001.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 55
  • jute insulation 002.jpg
    jute insulation 002.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 77

Scribbles

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have been an audio and electronics installer in the Phx are for many years and I would highly recommend using the best possible material you can afford for the roof! You can get away with the cheaper stuff but not the roof. You will need the best adhesion and the cheaper materials will melt and ruin your new headliner in our extreme heat.
I am doing my 89 Suburban very soon and have done headliners and deadening more than I can count and ever time we use the cheaper stuff (only when the customer brought their own and insisted) It has fallen off and seeped through the headliner backing to be seen on the material.
Good Luck and feel free to message if you need any advice or help.

C10SLEY

Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
383 stroker
So Kilmat users, I def wanna use this in my C10, but I will evenbtually need to replace one, maybe two rockers. They aren't bad. And I wanna do a frame off resto eventually too. Should I wait to do the Kilmat, or just throw it on with some carpet and enjoy the truck for a few years before i have the funds to tear it apart?? I dont image I will need to remove the Kilmat for the resto, and I will put POR15 or eastwood paint underneath before laying it all down.
Thanks!

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Kilmat does not peel off at all nicely. I needed to get at my bolts for the door hinges it was a struggle to get it to this point. If I were you I would do as much as you can and leave out the spots you want to repair in the future.

Attachments

• 16499846939387404280895839660662.jpg
    16499846939387404280895839660662.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 71

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Which products do you recommend?
DEI Products are excellent. I have covered many interiors, including overhead roofs, and never had an issue with their Boom Mat. And I live in Yuma Az where the summers are hotter than the surface of the sun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laqota