headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
I prefer the copper gaskets. They seal a ton better.

heavyleft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10/K5
Engine Size
350ci
agreed, we got flowtech and have had em for a few years they work fine, same as the dynomax. Ours are actually the summit brand ones, but are reboxed flowtechs even had a flowtech part number on the box.

IMO if you want some cheapo black ones, they'll rust very quickly.

I'd buy the $160 ebay long tube stainless headers.

Then I would buy the summit header buddies, they are a ball end, so no gaskets needed, you also do not have to cut the header collector off to use them as intended. you just use them in place of the flat reducers the headers come with, then you use no lower gasket and IMO is the ONLY way to go. Same for stainless, IMO the ONLY way to go.

Could you provide a link to said $160 stainless headers? I've searched eBay to no luck. Probably plugging in wrong verbiage. Thanks in advance.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I'll check it's been awhile they may not have em right now.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea I'm not seeing them either, they had them before, I remember seeing them, right after we bought the summit set for around the same price. it made me mad.

to the OP if you aint in a hurry, wait for them to come back on ebay, if not go to summit and check their prices on the headers and the exhaust kit, they have free shipping, just a handling charge.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I would think they'd work just fine, you'e gonna have to cut and weld on the kit to use the header buddys.

those ebay stainless ones looked the exact same as the flowtechs, tubes and all.

as for salt, salt IS NOT what makes them rust, the hot and cold cycles makes them rust. They burn the paint off and then are nothing but bare metal. They'll last, we had rusty headers for over 10 years no problems.

True, the salt doesn't make them rust, but it does make them rust much faster. The lower half of mine is where they get nasty and turn to swiss cheese. The garage queens get the surface rust and it never goes beyond that.

I'd also be cautious of the "stainless" chinese headers that are on ebay. I've seen similar "stainless" products rust. To be fair, I have zero experience with those headers.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I know what you mean, rust is like throwing salt on a wound, it just tears it up LOL.

As for the ebay stainless, yep I got em. The top flange has rust, but the tubes don't.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
I am using a set of Hedman's that were black, that factory paint came right off. I used the VHT ceramic paint and primer to refinish them and it looks great and made a great deal of difference in the under hood temps. Have not had a problems with color or stains. Big plus is the ball and socket flange, love that it has no gaskets to leak.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
oh and another question, after looking at my manifolds there is a bunch of stuff bolted to them, what would i have to do if i get headers? i am going to remove the emissions stuff permanently but there will still be stuff that needs to be mounted. are there brackets that id have to get?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I think there is one stud you'll have to get for the driver side first bolt for the PS pump bracket and that should be it. Back when I was running no accesory hole heads, I had to use a funky brackt to mount the alternator, but not on heads with accesory holes other than the stud I do beleive.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
oh and another question, after looking at my manifolds there is a bunch of stuff bolted to them, what would i have to do if i get headers? i am going to remove the emissions stuff permanently but there will still be stuff that needs to be mounted. are there brackets that id have to get?

The front bolt on the driver side gets replaced with a stud and a spacer tube. The bracket needs the rear leg sawed off.

You must be registered for see images attach

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
The front bolt on the driver side gets replaced with a stud and a spacer tube. The bracket needs the rear leg sawed off.

You must be registered for see images attach

i saw that today and was wondering about it. oh and there is this thing attached to the manifold on the passenger side where the manifold is bolted to the exhaust, what is it? i assume its emissions but i have no idea

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kipps5000