Head Lite set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Woodman77

Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban chevy
Engine Size
I seem to remember when I was younger that setting up your head lights, we parked in front of a wall or garage door
and measured the lights at a certain height and distance. Can't seem to find that info anymore.
Was I just tripping or do you remember the process?
Thanks, Woody

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Woodman77 Woody, there is a few ways people do this, so you might get a few different ways posted, but they are all a means to the same end. You need flat ground, and a wall, preferably a light colored wall.

You want to measure 20' off the wall.

Now you can either park so your front bumper is at the 20' mark and measure the height from the ground to the center of your headlights and then transfer that height to the wall, or you can pull up close to the wall so your bumper is inches from it, turn your lights on and mark the wall. you want the marks on the wall to look like big plus sign with the hottest spot in the middle, and then back up to the 20' mark. That's the method I like to use because because there is less a chance of making a mistake measuring and it takes into account any kind of abnormality in the headlight housing.

Then set the headlight beam so the center of the hot spot is just below the plus mark on the wall and the left headlight is slightly pointing to the right of the plus but the right headlight should be slightly lower than the plus but hit the plus right on side to side.

The principle behind the side to side adjustment is to reduce blinding the oncoming driver and reduce glare for you off the street signs.

Hopefully that helps and it's ok to tweak them a little if it doesn't look perfect going down the road at night, but the setup should put you really close to perfect.

Woodman77

Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban chevy
Engine Size
Thanks SR Rob, Bringing back those memories.
Do we follow the same routine for the high beams?
My Burb has the double lights on each side.

Thanks So Much, Woody

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
@Woodman77 Well yes and no, are the low beams double filament? As in are all 4 headlights on when it's on high beam? If yes then adjust the low beam headlights, kick it on to high beam and adjust the high beam only lights until they are aimed at the exact same spot as double filament high lights are. Does that make sense?

Woodman77

Reaction score
First Name
Woody
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban chevy
Engine Size
Totally makes sense. can’t thank you enough .
this Sub was used in the mountains of North Idaho and the lights were setup for driving in the woods were a lot animals are crossing. The setup was very broad with pretty deep light into the
road sides. Helps in seeing the creatures before they enter the road. Thanks again Woody

Attachments

• A47F9B61-6362-4F58-A62E-D6430F52D7D1.jpeg
    A47F9B61-6362-4F58-A62E-D6430F52D7D1.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 19

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
Glad to have been of some help to someone.
Really? You and so many others here have helped countless of us DIY guys over the years. I have said it before, you guys (and gals) make me a lots smarter to my kid than I actually am! We could not have accomplished half of this project without ya’ll!

Thank you ALL and Merry Christmas…

Randy and Easton
Proverbs 27:17

Attachments

• IMG_2952.jpeg
    IMG_2952.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7576.jpeg
    IMG_7576.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 0A380E78-8CEA-42E2-9920-9D81413B4E0E.jpeg
    0A380E78-8CEA-42E2-9920-9D81413B4E0E.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 21

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Really? You and so many others here have helped countless of us DIY guys over the years. I have said it before, you guys (and gals) make me a lots smarter to my kid than I actually am! We could not have accomplished half of this project without ya’ll!

Thank you ALL and Merry Christmas…

Randy and Easton
Proverbs 27:17
Thanks Randy and Easton I really appreciate the kind words. Not everyone is like you and all to often people don't show much if any appreciation, or maybe they simply forget to return to the thread to say anything, which would probably be easy to have happen. So it's genuinely nice to get a thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eri24