Hard as a rock steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duckdodger

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I had a seal blow in my steering gearbox
And being that I knew the box ran out of fluid twice I just replaced it
After all is said and done i can barely turn
The wheel. I need some help ( 87 Sierra v1500 with powersteering)

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Maybe air in the system? Did you run it with the cap off and turn the wheels lock to lock?

Other than that, I'm no help

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Might depend on how far it was run while being out of fluid,maby might have crapped the pump with it.
I it had`nt been run very far,out of fluid,then,as suggesed,it is probably air trapped in the gearbox and needs to be bled out.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm with these other suggestions. Chances are, air trapped in the system. Many times with use, you can eventually get the air to burp into the PS pump resevoir. Usually the cap isn't quite air tight. You're positive you don't have a kink in your low pressure return line?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm going with a bad steering box. The rebuilders don't have a clue what they are doing and it often takes a couple tries to get a good one. Obviously you want to make sure the system is well bled first of course.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I'm going with a bad steering box. The rebuilders don't have a clue what they are doing and it often takes a couple tries to get a good one. Obviously you want to make sure the system is well bled first of course.

OOOOOHHHHhhh,yeah,I changed ouyt the pump and box at the same time,figured with the age and amount of miles,over 200,000,that if I changed the leaking pump,the increased pressure would blow out some seals in the box.When it was all done,the steering seemed a bit tighter,or slightly tougher,to turn the wheel.
I thought about turning up the pressure on the pump a bit,but,I never gotaroundtooit and so I have now gotten accustomed to the feel and so it now seems plumb normal.:893karatesmiley-thu:Wedgie::happy175:

Duckdodger

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Ill try bleeding the system. As far as getting accustomed to it being tight when I say tight I mean row boat in setting concrete tough

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ill try bleeding the system. As far as getting accustomed to it being tight when I say tight I mean row boat in setting concrete tough

YUP,that`d be tough foir sure.:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wacky