had rough idle, now won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
hello gmsquarebody members. haven't been a member but a few days but already i like this forum better than some others i've been on. this is my first thread i'm posting. after quite a few threads i've searched through i could not find anything quite like my issue.

so to start from the beginning, i have 2WD 86 short bed with a 350ci from a 72 C10. been tinkering with it since 2006 but nothing major. Edelbrock 1405 600cfm with performer intake, long tubes, lunati voodoo cam, and TH400 tranny. last summer the rocker studs yanked out on me (blame the cam and pressed studs) so the truck sat through the winter until feb of this year when i purchased some ProMaxx 185cc heads. installed them shortly after also installing new rods and jets since the new plugs were jet black when i pulled them (after a few trips around the block). also installed new NGK plugs, taylor 8MM wires, holley fuel pressure regulator, stock spec oil pan (last one dented from previous owner) as well. fast forward, i went to go register it the other day and cranked for a while but no start. i sprayed some throttle cleaner down the carb and got it going but it had a rough idle. in Drive it would push forward as if i kept giving it gas. took if for a spin and it shut off on me down the street while doing 20mph. turned the key, gave it gas and it started again but i turned it around. shut off on me again then it would crank fine for a few seconds then sound like binding with a clicking noise only during the binding sound.

the following i've checked so far: checked timing and firing order repeatedly even though it ran fine quite a few times before. checked all vacuum lines. checked put in old rods, same effect. had wife crank while i checked around engine bay and underneath, thought i felt the clicking with my hand on the oil pan so took it off and nothing suspect. sorry this post is so long but don't want to waste anyones time being vague and some information about my truck is obviously necessary. moving in a month across town and really wanted her to be useful. thanks in advance for any help and expertise.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
i would pull the oil pan if you feel something. tapping on it. maybe something went wrong when the rocker studs popped out and the valves dropped. i could be wrong but that's where I'd start.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350runner thanks for the reply. i actually did pull the pan yesterday. i rotated the assembly checking for anything unusual even shining the flashlight towards the cam just out of curiosity. couldn't even find anything in the oil, looked clean. so needless to say i'm stumped.

update: took out all the plugs and cranked her just in case there was something in the cylinder plugs were black, probably from the consistent cranking. then put the plugs back in and cranked again with distributor still unplugged, and still no hesitation or binding like sound. after connecting everything it would crank for days, now without any binding or hesitation, but won't start. maybe somebody can tell me something i'm missing.

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
have you checked for spark?

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
stuck a screwdriver in the cable today before editing the last post. thought i heard it clicking but it was hard to tell or hear over the engine cranking. might have to find a buddy to help out with that soon. probably get the wife to help out tomorrow. i was definitely getting 12v to the distributor coil. Jegs GM HEI distributor with coil on top, nothing fancy. i'll post on here tomorrow 350runner, thanks for helping out so far sometimes a second brain to pick at helps.

Quadrajet Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
Spark, fuel and air are what you need for it to run. So like he said above, check for the spark, and fuel. Then make sure your spark timing is correct.

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
had initial timing set at about 10* before it quit running and more than triple checked firing order, fuel pressure right at 6psi. probably dumb question but would the fuel pressure gauge register while its cranking or only once the engine is running?

Last edited:

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
it will register while cranking and after. as the pump is pumping fuel. insert the screw driver into the plug boot. when you get asecond set of hands set the driver very close to a ground and note the color of the spark. hope this helps

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
i'll let you know tomorrow. according to my daughter is wasn't registering on the gauge today even though it was just a couple days ago, and it's a brand new fuel pump. i'll find out for sure tomorrow as well as with the spark.

UPDATE: verified the fuel pressure gauge and definitely wasn't showing a reading. took off the line at the carb, got one sputter of fuel then nothing else for many cranks. took the line off the fuel pump (outlet) and it has good pressure. line from the fuel pump to the fuel pressure regulator was clean i could literally blow through it and feel all the air. something has to be blocked between the regulator and the carburetor. just my luck it started raining as soon as i was trying to figure it out.

Last edited:

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
so it seems the fuel filter is blocked up and the seals are all messed up even though it's never been taken apart, until now. visibly looks good from the outside but as soon as i disconnected it the blocked fuel all ran out. bought a new filter from O'Reillys but of course the rain came down hard so time to play the waiting game and we'll see once it dries.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
awesome!

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
welp, there seems to be a blockage in the line from the tank to the pump. connected a fuel line from a gas can to the pump and had good fuel pressure when i cranked it. the filter even filled up with fuel but it never started after cranking for a while. gave it two pumps with the throttle pedal and it started making that binding and clicking sound again soon as i turned the key again. time for a drink and thinking time i guess, out of ideas for the moment.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
ok couple things
1.) bypass the tank selector to see if the pump will pump fuel.
2.) have you checked for spark?

86chevyc10

Reaction score
First Name
Alejandro
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
ok couple things
1.) bypass the tank selector to see if the pump will pump fuel.
2.) have you checked for spark?

1. i only have one tank so it's the only line going to the pump

2. just made me feel stupid hahha, forgot about the spark. today's my birthday so it's been crazy with my wife and all these kids. i'll get on that next.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Good deal man. happy birthday!!! Have fun with your family or something.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06