Guess The Tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Its from Area 51, its an Alien's probe. Just ask the folks that have seen it first hand.

I thought I covered that in the first post. But since you tied it to aliens I think I will try that line on some gullible friends. Drill for the front, big end for the back. Should get a chuckle. :eek:

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
It kinda looks like a tip cleaner for a MIG welder, but not sure why there would be a hole in the drill bit.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I thought I covered that in the first post. But since you tied it to aliens I think I will try that line on some gullible friends. Drill for the front, big end for the back. Should get a chuckle. :eek:

Oops, I missed that. Well, it needed to be said again anyway. :D

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Oops, I missed that. Well, it needed to be said again anyway. :D

Did that raid on Area51 thing go down yet?

When it does I'll say I was there and this is what I found.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
well..? Inquiring minds are ready to know! Lol

I don't know if you're going to be interested or disappointed, but keep in mind this thing baffled me for decades, so I was really excited to finally know what it was. Ready?...

It's a pipe reamer.

Despite it's name, it is not a plumbing tool.

It's made to clean the bowl and stem of your smoking pipe.

The hole in the bit is to thread a pipe cleaner through to help clean the pipe-stem.

Last night I went home and dug out my dad's old pipes and tried it out.

You must be registered for see images attach

Of course, now that I know what it is, there is an abundance of information about them and I discovered that you can still buy them today. The only problem is nobody but greybeards seem to smoke pipes anymore. I don't know if they just fell out of style or too many people were getting hassled by the cops for having drug paraphernalia. But it used to be quite a thing. Too bad.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I don't know if you're going to be interested or disappointed, but keep in mind this thing baffled me for decades, so I was really excited to finally know what it was. Ready?...

It's a pipe reamer.

Despite it's name, it is not a plumbing tool.

It's made to clean the bowl and stem of your smoking pipe.

The hole in the bit is to thread a pipe cleaner through to help clean the pipe-stem.

Last night I went home and dug out my dad's old pipes and tried it out.

Of course, now that I know what it is, there is an abundance of information about them and I discovered that you can still buy them today. The only problem is nobody but greybeards seem to smoke pipes anymore. I don't know if they just fell out of style or too many people were getting hassled by the cops for having drug paraphernalia. But it used to be quite a thing. Too bad.
Sweet!!!!! I have a pipe... my beards red.

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Sweet!!!!! I have a pipe... my beards red.

Red head Ted,... I like it! :)

I don't smoke often. I'll enjoy a cigar now and then, but I had never tried a pipe. Long after my dad died my mom was going to toss his pipes, and me being sentimental and a hoarder I said I would take them. I had foolishly tossed the remnants of his last can of tobacco years before because I figured it couldn't possibly be any good anymore and I needed a can for something.

Anyway, after I got the pipes I went to the local tobacco shop and bought some cleaners and a couple of different flavors of tobacco to try them out. I have to admit, some of that is really good.

I know some people detest the smell, but I remember really enjoying the aroma of dad's pipes as a kid. It's probably personal preference and what kind of tobacco one uses, because much like cigars, cheap cr@p smells like cr@p but a good tobacco smells really good. And a pipe offers a lot of different blend options.

It's kind of a shame that it's gone away. Maybe it's because it's tied to memories of my dad, or just because I grew up in a time when it was more common, but I think we've lost something. The times I've tried it I found it was a very relaxing, contemplative thing to just sit back and enjoy a short, fragrant smoke on a quiet evening.

Outside of course. The wife would flip if I lit up in the house. I gotta work on that exhaust fan for the basement workshop. :D

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

I don't smoke often. I'll enjoy a cigar now and then, but I had never tried a pipe. Long after my dad died my mom was going to toss his pipes, and me being sentimental and a hoarder I said I would take them. I had foolishly tossed the remnants of his last can of tobacco years before because I figured it couldn't possibly be any good anymore and I needed a can for something.

Anyway, after I got the pipes I went to the local tobacco shop and bought some cleaners and a couple of different flavors of tobacco to try them out. I have to admit, some of that is really good.

I know some people detest the smell, but I remember really enjoying the aroma of dad's pipes as a kid. It's probably personal preference and what kind of tobacco one uses, because much like cigars, cheap cr@p smells like cr@p but a good tobacco smells really good. And a pipe offers a lot of different blend options.

It's kind of a shame that it's gone away. Maybe it's because it's tied to memories of my dad, or just because I grew up in a time when it was more common, but I think we've lost something. The times I've tried it I found it was a very relaxing, contemplative thing to just sit back and enjoy a short, fragrant smoke on a quiet evening.

Outside of course. The wife would flip if I lit up in the house. I gotta work on that exhaust fan for the basement workshop. :D
Im not a red head lol just my beard is red...i too get pipe smoking from my father. I still smoke his favorite tobbacco too. Paladin black cherry. I only smoke cigs when drunk, i really enjoy true cigars. I have a humidor and a cutter but on a daily basis (right now actually) smoke swisher sweet grape

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
See, it did have something to do with the reamer aliens.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size

Heres my pipe and tobacco. I get made fun of when im smoking it because im not an old grey beard lol but it is relaxing and smells great

Blue Ox

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Heres my pipe and tobacco. I get made fun of when im smoking it because im not an old grey beard lol but it is relaxing and smells great

I think one of the blends I bought to try was a Black Cherry. It wasn't bad but I didn't like it as much as the other one. I'll have to look when I get home. But it's all personal preference. Like wine, you don't pick them based on price or critics, you buy what you like.

The old man used to smoke Bond Street which was an RJR product, not made anymore. There was another company making a copy of it for a while, but I haven't been able to get my hands on any. The reviews I've read said it was heavily Bourbon infused which is interesting because dad didn't have a high opinion of Bourbon. That's why I'm sorry I tossed the stuff that was left. It probably would have been good enough to at least try it out. Oh well.

As far as the fashion of it, it used to be a very cool look. At least I thought so, but I'm probably influenced by growing up around it. There's a pic at my mother's house of my grandfather from the '20 with a pipe. I thought he "cut a very dashing figure." I'll have to see if I can get a pic of it next time I'm there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey