Got a new rear end.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Hey guys, its been a long while since I've been on here and an even longer time since working on my 86 C20. It currently has a 14 bolt semi floater with 4:10 gears and it is supposed to have the G80 locker. At one point in its life I pulled the cover and found a ground up spider gear in the bottom of the diff, this plus the low gearing justifies the change.

I just picked up what I was told is a 14 bolt Full Floater corporate with a G80 locker and 3:73 gears. I just pulled the cover and found that it indeed is 3:73 gears, and full floating. However, when I turn the yolk it acts as I would expect a LSD to. It will go a full rotation then lock the axles together, when turning one of the axles the other turns the opposite direction. I also attached a picture of what it looks like.

Anyway my question is: is this in fact a locker that is just not working right? is it working like it should be or is it a LSD?

Thanks in advanced for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_1256.jpg
    IMG_1256.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 93

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
looks like a gov loc to me. highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
This is what a G80 GOV LOC looks like
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA

And this is what they look like when they break lol

Last edited:

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Wow. Thank goodness it does not look like that. I am fully convinced that it is a LSD based on how it acts when one wheel and the drive line is turned.

I had another question about this and I might post it in another area, but to do the disc brake conversion on this.

is it worth the swap?
and do I loose the emergency brake completely or is there a way to get that to work with the discs as well?

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

Isn't that something. No wonder they're disliked so much, especially with better products available out there. I bet the Gov-Lock was good as long as it wasn't abused though.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

While you will see a TON of stories and pictures like this regarding the G80 you also have to take into consideration you never really hear what people are doing when this happens.

I've read stories both ways saying that some people have had theirs explode just driving down the road but most of the horror stories are from guys running big tires and trying to put the hammer down in something like mud or water then the tires grabbing and BOOM!

Don't just think "Oh know I have a G80" it will explode..

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
well the one that detonated is in a 10bolt. no surprise there. the other one that ogre posted I am not sure, it's not a 14boltff though. the gov locs for a 14boltff looks like the pic that dutch posted. highdesertranger

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
well the one that detonated is in a 10bolt. no surprise there. the other one that ogre posted I am not sure, it's not a 14boltff though. the gov locs for a 14boltff looks like the pic that dutch posted. highdesertranger

I have a two 14 SF axles with the G80 Gov Loc and they look identical to the pictures I posted.

Not all G80s are Gov Locs though :)

G80 is RPO for traction device not necessarily a GOV LOC

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Wow. Thank goodness it does not look like that. I am fully convinced that it is a LSD based on how it acts when one wheel and the drive line is turned.

I had another question about this and I might post it in another area, but to do the disc brake conversion on this.

is it worth the swap?
and do I loose the emergency brake completely or is there a way to get that to work with the discs as well?

IMO the disc brakes are an excellent upgrade and worth the money and effort.

The only way to keep the E brake is to get Eldorado or equivalent calipers with the built in parking brake mechanism. Other wise you would have to get a drive line brake. Which to my knowledge is not DOT approved. But works fine.

If you plan on running regular front axle calipers then there would be no possible way to run an E brake. This is the route I will go when I upgrade.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
While you will see a TON of stories and pictures like this regarding the G80 you also have to take into consideration you never really hear what people are doing when this happens.

I've read stories both ways saying that some people have had theirs explode just driving down the road but most of the horror stories are from guys running big tires and trying to put the hammer down in something like mud or water then the tires grabbing and BOOM!

Don't just think "Oh know I have a G80" it will explode..

This is mostly true! If maintained properly and not abused they can last quite a while. But IMO I would be more comfortable with a different styled traction aid. Like say a Detroit True Trac! :)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This is mostly true! If maintained properly and not abused they can last quite a while. But IMO I would be more comfortable with a different styled traction aid. Like say a Detroit True Trac! :)

Well we can't all be moneybags like some people :D

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's a 14ff style Gov-Loc. The 14sf style Gov-Loc looks like an oversized 10 bolt Gov-Loc. So three different Gov-loc diffs have been discussed here, but the one in question is indeed a Gov-Loc.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
thanks bucket, I knew I was right because I just swapped my 14boltff gov loc for a Detroit Locker. I was hoping some one else would chime in. highdesertranger

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78