GM paper or K&N hi- flow filter, Worth the cost in a stock truck ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTWard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Silverado
Engine Size
350 Gasoline
Is a K&N air filter worth the cost over a AC Delco paper filter ? Please give me your opinions and reasons . Thank you !

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I prefer the paper filters. K&N is great, don't get me wrong. But IIRC the whole premise is to coat the foam filter with oil so the oil catches the particles in the air. I don't remember how long you can go between cleanings but I would think it would be messy when you do have to clean it. Over a lifetime I guess K&N would save money, but time is money as well. I'll just throw the paper filter in and be done.

Didn't some of the later SB have a foam insert (that didn't come out) on the air cleaners with the paper air filter around it? I don't remember.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Cleaning a K&N filter is very easy. You spray some of the cleaning solution on it and literally hose it off with the garden hose. Shake it out, let it dry a bit, then apply a LIGHT coat of the oil spray.

How often it needs cleaned is determined by your driving environment. Too much oil on it will make it get dirty faster.

C10MixMaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG10
Engine Size
ZZ4 350
Is a K&N air filter worth the cost over a AC Delco paper filter ? Please give me your opinions and reasons . Thank you !

I have used K&N on a lot of off road toys with no complaints. They are good filters. Pros buy it once lasts many years just clean it, oil it and good to go again, it also flows more air than paper . cons oil is a little messy, doesn't filter as good as paper, on cars with MAF sensors too much oil can damage them. For me im going to stick with K&N or other gause type air filters on off road toys, because you clean them all the time and go with paper on the street.

Here's a filter from a diesel ac delco a644c $20 at oreillys that im going with next. Its a dry filter paper with a foam pre filter 14x4.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
I just put a "Green Filter" in my truck. Similar concept to K&N but a little more engineered. I've really enjoyed it and I think it is worth the extra money considering it will last as long as the truck. A one-time investment of $50-75 or a yearly/bi-yearly purchase of what, $10-20? Think about it...

Kevin S

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C2500 High Sierra, Colonial Yellow
Engine Size
BBC 454, manual SM465
I use the K&N. My reasons:
  1. performance/efficiency - airflow higher/easier less restriction
  2. cost/reuse - admittedly smaller with an old truck with normal street use for me recommended to clean and re-oil @50k miles, however I see this truck staying with me forever so springing for the premium option I value works for me.
As mentioned before remove, spray, rinse, dry, re-oil. Not rocket science.

Easy to see if your priority leans more towards economy, foreseably selling the truck sooner, then saving on a lower cost paper element is also a valid choice.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
I've had a K&N (yes, the same one) on my '73 since '84 (when I bought it).

I did a lot of desert driving in CA and NV. Cleaned it every 3 months and man did it ever need it!

In the long run it has been cheaper and considering what has been cleaned out of it, it's better for the engine.

When I lived in Vegas (3 years) I had to clean it about every other month.

Would I go back to another type? HELL NO!

bigcountry78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Paper for me. I actually spent about $300 on a K&N “cold air” intake for my 98 Silverado. It pulled more hot air then the stock setup, which was plumbed through the fender for cool air. And I never did notice a performance increase, just a noise increase. As for the filter itself, it cost more. And then you have to buy the oil recharge kit. On my square, I think a K&N cost about $50-$60, plus the oil. The last paper element was less than $10. Toss the old, put in the new. So I vote paper.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I put K&N's in all my vehicles. When I buy a vehicle they're in my possession for a long time. Its easy to clean and reinstall.
Do they make any perfomance increases? Yes and no.
I put one in all three of my turbo Volvo's with the factory airbox. Yes there was a small increase in performance in every one of them.
K&N Cold air kit for an '01 F150 along with shorty headers didn't do a damn thing performance wise.
On my square there was nothing noticable either with the K&N itself. That said, combined with a good tune up, carb rebuild and a set of headers with dual exhaust made for a noticable kick in the ass when stomping the go pedal.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Bought one "recharge kit" and after I used it started checking and found that either Simple Green or Oil Eater sprayed on the dirty filter ,let set and washed off ,worked just as good as the recharge kit. Let it dry and sprayed ATF on it to finish it off. Been doing this to the Chevelle filter for about 10 years now, still good!!

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
I have a K&N in my OT car. I had one in my truck, but it would get loaded up with under hood insulation, since it was oily. I also did not like having to wash the filter, let it dry, reoil. It took a while versus pulling out the paper one and throwing a new one in. And in the end, I did not notice a difference.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have a 3x14” k&n and a 4x14” Wix paper type. I read that the paper type can filter finer particles then the k&n. Since I have fine silt up here in the summer, I run a paper one during those months. I have been known to be OCD, though. Turns out, the 3-4 months the paper one is in, is just long enough for the k&n to dry after cleaning it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The filter doesn't need to be completely dry to install it. That little bit of moisture won't hurt a thing. Heck, you could probably install it when it's still soaking wet and it will be fine.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
The filter doesn't need to be completely dry to install it. That little bit of moisture won't hurt a thing. Heck, you could probably install it when it's still soaking wet and it will be fine.
I was joking about the length of time for the water to dry, but the filter doesn’t need to be dry of water before oiling it?

I’d think the filter oil would bead on a wet filter, causing some areas of gauze to be inadequately oiled.

CoggedBelt75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did you ever make a choice on which filter to run?

K&N for me also. Ran the same one on the bug catcher for 11 years. 2 more months will be 2 years on the carbs. Like Perry said, I have used simple green for the cleaner and just buy the oil in the aerosol can from o’Reilly’s @ $10.00. A light coat goes a long ways. A bit less than 2 years and only on the 2nd can. And that’s doing 2 6” filters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64