Glove box lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
So I'm in the process of reinstalling my locking glove box after disassembling it a long time ago. I got the lock and latch reinstalled on the box using the correct key for the lock. However, now the latch is locked in the closed position, and the knob is locked and the key won't turn it. It is essentially now acting like I am using the wrong key, but that is not possible. I have looked up videos on removing the lock/tumbler, all I can find is stuff on non-locking boxes. And you need to use your key on locking ones, which clearly isn't working now for some reason. So, does anyone have any ideas here on how I can now get this open? Here's what I'm looking at.

You must be registered for see images attach

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Square body trucks never came with a locking glove box. Some 1980's models might have a locking console only.

You can mix and match parts form other GM models for the parts to have a locking glove box. If the mounting nut is too long, it can jam up the lock. An example is using a console lock and nut on the glove box.The nut is too long.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Square body trucks never came with a locking glove box. Some 1980's models might have a locking console only.

You can mix and match parts form other GM models for the parts to have a locking glove box. If the mounting nut is too long, it can jam up the lock. An example is using a console lock and nut on the glove box.The nut is too long.
I've owned this truck since 1992, I'm the second owner, and I still know the original owner. 1981 Custom Deluxe (now it's all custom redone). This locking box is definitely original, uses the same key as the doors, at least it did til I reassembled it yesterday. I noticed today that the one original key I have has a bend to it, so maybe that's why it won't unlock now. I'll be taking it to an old school locksmith in a couple days if no one has an idea how to remove it while locked.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I'm the second owner, and I still know the original owner. 1981 Custom Deluxe (now it's all custom redone).
"custom redone" Re-keying a lock isn't that hard to do.
If the key will not turn the tumbler, then drilling the center is one of your removal choices. Another choice would be to break the latch off. As in most automotive locks, you need to turn the key tumbler to the open long slot. Pushing the release allows it to turn further to that open slot.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size

BadBowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet
Engine Size
5.0L

I agree.

Especially on a Custom Deluxe trim level.

shep151

Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Get a lock pick set. I picked one up and with a little practice was able to open a locking gas cap for a project I was working on. It also came in handy when I threw out some "extra" keys that weren't as "extra" as I had thought.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I agree.

Especially on a Custom Deluxe trim level.
I just confirmed with the original owner that it was there when he bought the truck new. So I guess I have a one of one numbers matching Custom Deluxe locking glove box, Bring A Trailer here I come. :shrug:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I didn't buy either new, but my '89 Jimmy(K5) and '90 CC both had glove box locks when I bought them. I would find it odd that both had been modified in that way and that so many I have come across have locks.

I believe the glove box light option came a long in the late 80's. Possibly there was some glove box convenience package that included both???

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I just confirmed with the original owner that it was there when he bought the truck new. So I guess I have a one of one numbers matching Custom Deluxe locking glove box, Bring A Trailer here I come. :shrug:
Did you take your truck to bring a trailer or did you try the second key that isn't bent?

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I didn't buy either new, but my '89 Jimmy(K5) and '90 CC both had glove box locks when I bought them. I would find it odd that both had been modified in that way and that so many I have come across have locks.

I believe the glove box light option came a long in the late 80's. Possibly there was some glove box convenience package that included both???
You may be right about the later model squares. The utility company I worked for stop buying GM trucks in the 1980's. Lord knows I give thanks for Fords. Always something to fix.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Did you take your truck to bring a trailer or did you try the second key that isn't bent?
Only have that one door/glovebox key. I realized the more I mess with this lock, the higher the chance I scratch my perty black freshly painted glove box door. So locksmith it is on Thursday. And I'll get some fresh keys while I'm there.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
memories can be blurry especially with how thick rose colored glasses get. Not saying hes lying but that the lock being there now, and him owning the truck since new, its far easier for his memory to be persuaded it was always there rather than in 1983 someone stole things out of the cab and so he wanted a place to keep things just another level of secure so had it put in, but never had issues ever again. So because it was rather minimal one time experience, his brain shed that information as unimportant or at least lower importance and pruned it as a healthy brain is supposed to.

But im also not going to say with confidence they didnt come locking or that they couldnt easily be had with a locking glovebox. crazier things have happened, like dealers removing badging to install gimmicky ones.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli