Gi big or go home!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
After trying everything, I've concluded it's impossible to get the high end bass I want without taking the "nuclear" option. If you know what a "blow thru" sub is you know where I'm going with this. Some of you may actually get sick to your stomach . So be it, you'll recover. With that said, this is the next step in my audio system.

Carry on.

You must be registered for see images attach

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
Good ****.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Are you going to mount it through the rear of the cab?

How big is your sub-woofer?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Are you going to mount it through the rear of the cab?

How big is your sub-woofer?

Yes. It's 12". It will have a 12" cutout. I've got the accordion boot. It will be a quality modification. I've done a few of these in my part time career as a stereo tech. Sound pressure level is a different animal than "bass." That's what I'm looking for.
Plus, now that I've put in the NV4500 I need the full amount of legroom for the clutch. The dual 10's behind the seat gotta go.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
looks pretty cool! Todays speaker/electronics technology is crazy. I used to love my big booming stereos back in the day, now I have vehicles with factory Bose stereos and that's as loud as it gets anymore. Lol But when i'm in the ol' 8-Deuce I don't even have a radio in her. just the sounds of an 850 Demon sucking cool night air and the thump of a healthy big block as I motor on down the road!
:driver:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sub enclosure is coming along nicely. Per Memphis: 2.5 CF. Per Precision Port: 4" x10.5 aero-port. Tuned to 33 Hz.

1-1/4 mdf. 10-32 bolts and t-nuts. Yellow was just the color of the extra oil based enamel I had on hand. Just wanted to seal the wood from humidity changes. The box will be LineX'd on the outside.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Boom....there it is!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Big bass....

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Nice! I've had the backseat out of my daily for 8 years now. I've got a bigass dual 15 inch box, but just have one 15" FI BL, I love this sub and it's been pounding air for almost a decade. Recently blew my 96 year model Rockford amp so I've been living without bass for months now till I can get a quality amp.

I've always wanted to do a blow through system.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nice! I've had the backseat out of my daily for 8 years now. I've got a bigass dual 15 inch box, but just have one 15" FI BL, I love this sub and it's been pounding air for almost a decade. Recently blew my 96 year model Rockford amp so I've been living without bass for months now till I can get a quality amp.

I've always wanted to do a blow through system.

A twelve fits nicely without getting into structure. Any bigger (15") you'll need a different order of enclosure and blow it thru a port. The key is to measure 5 times before you cut. I used a long six inch drill bit (1/8th dia) to make a pilot hole in the center of the speaker cutout and go thru the cab AND bed for perfect alignment. I bought a body saw at HB for $30 and it makes it super easy to cut and control. I can always tig the piece back in if I need to.

I bit the bullet and updated my 15 year old equipment (which sounded good) until I listened to the newer digital class D mono amps and high excursion subs. The old technology just can't compare. Twice the power and clarity and half the amp draw.

It shakes things for sure. I've been into high end audio since I had my first car at 16 so I can't separate the love of sound from the love of squares. I am more than happy with the outcome.

The accordion boot is the ticket. It seals the cab-bed perfectly! Now I just got to pull to box out and get it LineX'd and put it together for the final time.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
A twelve fits nicely without getting into structure. Any bigger (15") you'll need a different order of enclosure and blow it thru a port. The key is to measure 5 times before you cut. I used a long six inch drill bit (1/8th dia) to make a pilot hole in the center of the speaker cutout and go thru the cab AND bed for perfect alignment. I bought a body saw at HB for $30 and it makes it super easy to cut and control. I can always tig the piece back in if I need to.

I bit the bullet and updated my 15 year old equipment (which sounded good) until I listened to the newer digital class D mono amps and high excursion subs. The old technology just can't compare. Twice the power and clarity and half the amp draw.

It shakes things for sure. I've been into high end audio since I had my first car at 16 so I can't separate the love of sound from the love of squares. I am more than happy with the outcome.

The accordion boot is the ticket. It seals the cab-bed perfectly! Now I just got to pull to box out and get it LineX'd and put it together for the final time.

That's the way I was always gonna go if I did a blow through, there's no better way especially with the cab vs box deflection. I started at 16 as well, I remember my first head unit... I thought it was rocket science as I had just done mechanical things my whole childhood. I look back now and laugh at myself lol.

I agree as well I'm young enough where i got into car audio once the big transition and popularity came into swing again. So I got to get a taste of the old low end stuff and blow those things up and by the time I learned a little bit about setting up amps correctly lol, the high quality new tech was kicking off.

That's when I picked up my FI audio bl15(discontinued now lol) I've blown many small amps trying to get every bit out of this sub and I was a kid so I was blaring it driving around for 5 hours a day lol. I picked up that old 90's amp from a buddy and it lasted at least 3 more years, it bumped the hardest. But the last few years the old age got to her, she went up in a smoke show lol.

i ran kicker subs and amps, even the square ones! I just thought those were neat. I've ran Rockford, and random off brand stuff as well, they were ok but nothing like the sub and equivalents from other companies. These new subs are insane, I think mine was 64 or 65 pounds, huge dual magnets, heavy basket, replaceable cone.

The sub is ready for another amp though, never had a recone, I could never say enough good things about FI audio. I've been looking at crescendo audio for a looong time, particularly the bc series, they're out of stock as of right now. Im going to be able justify getting a crescendo amp if the government pays for it lol, either way I'm done buying cheap amps.

Anyways enough of my rambling, I agree with you about the audio. Once you've gotten into custom audio you can't live without it, no matter what you drive. I'm somewhat of a purist, but I have no hesitation putting a nice single din kenwood head unit in any of my squares, now and in the future, other than my grandpas truck.

Nice build man, looks clean and I hope it sounds good! Don't let anybody give you **** for it! I would do it too! Not many squares out there with a blow through setup!

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I had 2 audiobahn alum 12's in a competition box on the back seat of my subrban for years and man do i miss them!

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Boom....there it is!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Looking good, love big bass!

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
This is my daily setup minus an amp currently lol, as you could probably tell by the dust.. The biggest premade box I could fit in the "backseat" it's a dual sub box, but as a broke kid, I couldn't afford the one 500 dollar sub lol, so that's the story behind the chunk of wood lol. Also the innovation of my mounting system blows me away all the time hahaha. I'll have to upgrade to a new model sub when I go to duals.

We all have to make sacrifices:rotflmao:

smullen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I6
I know its been here awhile, but I just got here... :) So, bringing back an old thread or trying too.

1st I love this thread and the ends ya'll will go to to get that Chest thumping Hardcore Bass!!!
I had a few systems in my Lowered S10 Blazer and have one in my current TrailBlazer, but those are SUVs.
A Single Cab truck is much more of a challenge.

I've posted in other FB groups and forums asking about anyone doing a blow though or other ways to feed the Bass Addiction and I got poo pooed by all the guys who think their 10" off brand in a premade truck box is all anyone could ever need. Nothing wrong with that if you are satisfied and content.. I'm not.

I keep toying with the idea when I get further on on doing some sort of a Blow through. Not sure exactly how I'd do it, I just want it pretty extreme.
I've attached a few idea I found while surfing around looking.

Before I do any of this, I plan on deadening the Crap out of the inside of the doors, the under and inside the cab and bed. I want to 1st coat everything with a layer or spray deadedner, then after that cures cover with a mat, like Dynamat or one of the other premium brands.

I have a 15" Fi BTL powered by a 2K watt Sundown Amp, pushed by a mechman HO Alt, 0/1 ga cable end to end and 2 XS Power Batts. At full tilt and idling, I get zero lights blinking or drop below 14Vs....
Whatever it is, I'd love a close as possible to that I just don't think I'll get anywhere near the size enclosure I'd need. The far rear of the bed will have my tank and valves, the middle will be cut out for the bridge notch, what's left in the front behind the cab will be it. I'll need to fit the sub enclosure, probably the amp and a 2nd XS Power Batt there.

Any more pics of the OPs truck or that 2nd trucks system???

I'd love to see both.

Attachments

• 2-12s-4thOrderVented.png
    2-12s-4thOrderVented.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 34
  • ThreeChamberVented4thOrder-2SubsFiringIntoaSingleVentedEnclosure.gif
    ThreeChamberVented4thOrder-2SubsFiringIntoaSingleVentedEnclosure.gif
    4 KB · Views: 35

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member