Getting ready for winter..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Started winterizing the burban today. Got my grill cover installed.

Piece of galvanized sheeting from Home Deopt with a few holes drilled in it and some Nylon Ties.

You must be registered for see images

I put wide weather stripping on the back so it doesn't scrape up the grill, emblem and won't vibrate and be noisy.

Installing the nylon ties. Got to bend them in half so you can get it back out from behind the grill.

Finished. Still room on the sides for some air intake. This makes a big difference when the temps are in the teens and 20's like what we have coming here next week.

Dug out a heated dipstick my old man had laying around the garage for years. Plugged it in and it got hot quick. But the f'n thing is too short, and the dipstick tube has a bend it won't go through. I'll have to pick up a block heater from somewhere.

Also busted out the Silicone spray. Hit the hubs, window channels, door locks and strikers. Silicone spray works good for these areas on old trucks in the winter time. Keeps them lubed and repels ice and ****. Especially good for the window channels in cold weather on older trucks with tired power window systems.

Also hung a sheet up behind the second seat to block cold air from the unheated, rusty, drafty stinky ass of the Burb. Used a piece of 1/2 PVC, and two pipe clamps from Home Depot and mounted it using existing headliner trim screws. Please ignore the push pin in the ceiling.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:waytogo: oughta throw some flat black on that plate real quick so it blends in a little bit :)

Another question, I've seen people do this a lot but not 100% sure what it does. Does it just keep you motor warmer during the frigid temps??

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
Put a big ass Flyers Logo in the middle of it after you polish the **** out of it.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
That's a new one on me, I have never heard of a heated Dip Stick. Who'd a thunk it.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
It's probably made in China:lol:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Put a big ass Flyers Logo in the middle of it after you polish the **** out of it.
See, I live in the Burbs, (how convienient is that name?), of Philly. NW about a half hour or so. We got a lot of these hoopdie, fancyass, street racing pricks driving around with those blinding ass blue/purple headlights in those 4 cyl, low ridn, fukin fast and furious wanna be, roller skate fukin cars. . I get my revenge in the winter when I got that sucka on da grill. I nick name it, REFLECTOR. :flipthebird:

Word on the Flyers pump Dawg, much appreciated. :patriot:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I sure like the idea of a heated dipstick. Sure would make a differant for cold weather starts and quicker lubrication. Sometimes that motor oil can get like pancake syrup when its cold enough and takes its sweet ass time getting thru the crank journals, and of course for a colder motor, and auto choke you are turning 1200 rpm or so to keep it running at first. That has got to be the worst on engine wear is cold start ups.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This was a big thing back in the 80's and 90's in JC Whitney catalog. Let me tell you, that suka got burning hot real fast. Now I just googled heated dipstick and the first page of results is all horror stories about it, even vehicles catching on fire from it, so maybe I am glad it didn;t work? I don;t know.

But if it was the right length and would fit through the bend in the dipstick tube, I was ready to put it in and hang the male and of the extension cord out the grill to test it out this week. I'll try almost anything once to get my own conclusions.

I hate cold starting a vehicle in extreme cold temps. I like to find anyway I can to help that motor. Iv'e even gone as far as sticking a lamp under the hood and plugging it in overnight to give that motor a chance to not grind itself away until everything else in the motor unglues itself and decides to flow.

Now that pic I put up of that redneck Caravan, I installed an in-line radiator hose heater and that thing worked great. You cut the lower radiator hose in half, stick this thing in line and clamp it, and when you plug it in, it heats the low end of the radiator chain.

WHat happens when you heat something? THe heat rises right? So this thing, installed in the lower radiator hise heated the antifreeze in the hose, and the warm antifreeze migrated higher, throughout the engine block, and recirculateed itself through the radiator back to the bottom.

I got to get one of those for this truck, I tested that sucker out. And I looked like one of those hot dawg deisel guys with the cord plug haning out of the grill. :crazy:

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Won't work for me........Supposed to be near 80F next week.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
That radiator hose heater sounds cool, especially since you would have a heater right away. That wont do **** for heating the crankcase oil where it counts most right?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That radiator hose heater sounds cool, especially since you would have a heater right away. That wont do **** for heating the crankcase oil where it counts most right?
Let me tell ya buddy, that warmed the whole engine block. You could walk out in the morning and feel the heat permeating off the radiator. That oil in there was juuuussst right ;)

SUNNNUVVA BITCH!!! Look at these prices!!! I am measuring my lower radiator hose tomorrow and ordring this! I will install next weekend and post it! :patriot:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/230554...f4bf4b5&itemid=230554339649&ff4=263602_304662

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
SHITCHA !!! I want one of those. I am a biggo **** when it comes to cold weather, and to know my heater is gonna work and be blowing warm air as soon as I get in my truck is awesome. I am sure that heat radiates and will also do some warming to the oil too if its good enough to warm all the coolant throughout the cooling system.

85k10383

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
For 20 bucks you can't go wrong! I'm ordering mine tonight! Good catch man. My truck exists to get me to and from work when the roads are too rotten for my DD so this will be just the ticket. Of course the down-side is that with the engine already warm, I won't be able to wake my neighbors with my 383 alarm clock any more :p

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Make sure to get the correct measurement of the I.D. of your lower radiator hose gentlemen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandallCLair