General Engine Related Talk and Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
sorry to be butting in here, just gonna see if anyone has any input on this.. I think the water pump is oem... I think the water pump is cracked, it seems to be leaking from the side of the lower hose tube, does that sound right? do these things just wear out and start to drip? its pretty rusty

You must be registered for see images attach

not sure if you can see the drip or not, its kinda a bad pic, its right above the hose (shot from under the truck)

There is a weep hole under the bottom of the pump if the inner seal goes bad. Check your hose clamps, snug them
up.

Sent from my iPod Touch 4th Gen using Tapatalk

90Suburban

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350ci
I'm adding a picture of a factory hose for that in my truck album i'm not sure how to add the pictures to here yet.. the hose for the heater core that is!

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpg
    IMG_0532.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

90Suburban

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350ci
I have a 7747 out of a 89 k5 thats been in my garage cabinet for 6 years now.. truck ran when i took it apart it's yours if you need it

Attachments

• IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
There is a weep hole under the bottom of the pump if the inner seal goes bad. Check your hose clamps, snug them
up.

I changed the hose and clamps, still drips when i fill it up... I think this is an early warning sign, it did seem to run a little warm before the drive shaft crapped out last year... im just gonna change it, what are they, about $40 right?

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
Finely got to that water pump, yep, theres the problem. I didnt know water pumps even had that hole. Grease and stuff coming out from behind the pulley, im guessing thats a bad sign....

at least I can clean it up a bit and get rid of that old AP bracket

damn! Ive never seen one like that, ill bet that was oem, not bad for a 79

nice new one... wtf didnt i do this before? oh yeah I wanted it to drive it, I knew this was gonna come back and bite
... had to close up shop early today and light the grill, ill try and get this done wednesday when i get a minute

Last edited:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have a 7747 out of a 89 k5 thats been in my garage cabinet for 6 years now.. truck ran when i took it apart it's yours if you need it

If you were directing that to 89Suburban, yes, he does need it. I sent him a message, he should chime in pretty soon.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

If you were directing that to 89Suburban, yes, he does need it. I sent him a message, he should chime in pretty soon.

Sunova bitch. Is that good Jim? What ya want for it? :)

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350

after pressure wash (i went easy on it)

first time tuning with the vacuum gauge, i advanced it till it read normal, checked it with my light and it was at 14, sounded ok so i left it there for now. adjusted the idle and set the mix screws. seems ok, now i just need to take it for a drive.... but then it pissed out a bunch of steering fluid from one of the lines... fml. back under the truck this weekend.

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
****. Did you jack up a hose during the water pump install maybe? Sometimes they get real hard and stiff, then when you move them, they'll crack or break. Hopefully that's all it is and you didn't break the hose attachment off the can.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Sunova bitch. Is that good Jim? What ya want for it? :)

Cool. 89 for an 89, should be the same one. Even if one was 305 and 1 was 350 they should still be the same. PROM chips might be programmed a little different but should be the same ECM !!! :waytogo:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

after pressure wash (i went easy on it)

first time tuning with the vacuum gauge, i advanced it till it read normal, checked it with my light and it was at 14, sounded ok so i left it there for now. adjusted the idle and set the mix screws. seems ok, now i just need to take it for a drive.... but then it pissed out a bunch of steering fluid from one of the lines... fml. back under the truck this weekend.

Cleaned up nice man. :)

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Cool. 89 for an 89, should be the same one. Even if one was 305 and 1 was 350 they should still be the same. PROM chips might be programmed a little different but should be the same ECM !!! :waytogo:

Yap, once in a while something good happens for Paw Paw. And past year it's been members here hookin me up with parts. :)

79K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350/th350
****. Did you jack up a hose during the water pump install maybe? Sometimes they get real hard and stiff, then when you move them, they'll crack or break. Hopefully that's all it is and you didn't break the hose attachment off the can.

could of been a hose maybe, i may have messed with one of the clamps that was in the way when i was doing the brake lines. it was from the passenger side, leaked all over the diff I'd just washed...

went to the range with my bro instead of working on the truck today, maybe next weekend... or tonight, my wife seems to be in a bad mood and I may need to retreat out to the garage, lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
could of been a hose maybe, i may have messed with one of the clamps that was in the way when i was doing the brake lines. it was from the passenger side, leaked all over the diff I'd just washed...

went to the range with my bro instead of working on the truck today, maybe next weekend... or tonight, my wife seems to be in a bad mood and I may need to retreat out to the garage, lol

ahhhh hell no. When wives get in bad moods, take them to the bedroom for some attention, snuggle with them for 15 minutes, then you get up and go the garage. Then when done in the garage, come in, and hit it again. Really, women in bad moods aren't that hard to handle. Can't have an unhappy wife cuz you know the **** runs downhill.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels