Gen V 454 Swap into 1986 K10?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Limetwist98

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can get a Gen V 454 for free from a friend. It has less than 5,000 miles on it and the trans. He had driven the pickup into a pond chasing a coyote and fried the engine which prompted the new engine. Shortly after install all the wiring went hay wire and the pickup was moved to its final resting place. I want to get some more power out of it and I also want to keep fuel injection. I am willing to switch what ever needs to be done to go to a good power fuel injection, heads, intake, etc... I want my wife to be able to start it is why I want to stay with FI. Is this engine worth messing with or am I better off to go another route. I do want to stay big block. My biggest question is... what ECM do I need to use? how do I check if that is whats shot? Electronics and me have never had much understanding of eachother! :shocked: All help and guidance greatly appreciated

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
They are good overall engines, but with limitations. I believe heads are still a small port and probably biggest restriction. If you have everything for it, keep it stock and use it.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
A set of 781's or 049's will wake it up big time..

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
A set of 781's or 049's will wake it up big time..

Except there's a good chance there will be an internal coolant leak using them. The Gen5 big block needs aftermarket heads or Gen6 heads.

From what I've found with the gen5 big block is that it's best to keep it mild or go hog wild with it. There's really no in-between.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Except there's a good chance there will be an internal coolant leak using them. The Gen5 big block needs aftermarket heads or Gen6 heads.

From what I've found with the gen5 big block is that it's best to keep it mild or go hog wild with it. There's really no in-between.
Oops, I missed the Gen5 my bad, you're right those won't work..

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
I am doing the same swap into my 1986 gen v with a 4l80e . Jason @ warr performance hooked me up with a stand alone harness,ecu and vssb for like $430 the harness is well marked where they all go it has been plug and play . if the ecu has been in the water it is trash you will need a new one . if your truck is a th350 or th400 trans he can help you with that harness as well .contact Jason he can help you with this swap

Limetwist98

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
do you have funds to put into it? a new cam, heads and aftermarket efi will make damn good power.

efi like this
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=holley+hp+efi&_osacat=6000&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xholley+sniper.TRS0&_nkw=holley+sniper&_sacat=6000

heads and cam of your choice

I am not rolling in the dough but I do have an understanding wife that will let me spend some cash and she likes to drive it as well. Thanks for the link! I have really been leaning towards a new EFI set up, heads and cam. That link was a little outdated when I finally got back on here to check it out, was that for the big ram intake? I am mechanically able to do about anything but get lost in all the # lingo. With that intake I would still need a new computer, injectors etc, correct?

Last edited:

Limetwist98

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will look into chatting with him! Maybe he can give me some direction as well! Thanks a million!

Limetwist98

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I think hog wild sounds like an awesome idea! I have been looking at the Holley HP fuel injection systems and also the EZ EFI systems. I think I may be one of the only early 30's ppl that is basically computer illiterate :shrug: so that's a little nerve racking but one way to learn. So say I was to buy one of the above systems, any recomendations on heads, cam, should I get into Pistons rods etc?? Is it even worth doing the FI system? Is money better well spent a different version of the 454?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you want to build a good, strong big block then it's a great starting point. At only 5K miles, the bottom end should be healthy. Add some nice heads with smaller chambers to keep the compression from getting too low, add a nice roller cam setup (not needed, but I highly recommend it) for the RPM range you want to be in, then top it off with one of the many aftermarket FI setups that are out there now. You'll end up with a 454 that makes around double the power it did in stock form.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Annnnnd you'll still get outrun by a hot small block because they rev so fast.

Gotta think bigger dude. More "hog wild" than that.
Seriously, consider adding a 100hp button.
If you want aftermarket EFI AND a cam?!
+100 HP is completely reasonable with a STOCK bottom for a very,very, long time.

Seize this opportunity . Spend $400 for a torque convertor and you'll have enough dough left handy to keep in refills and rubber.I bet the wife will be supportive of this idea!

Good luck whatever you decide. Most of all have fun and be safe.

With great power comes great responsibility.
You'll need to upgrade the rest of the truck proportionally. Think brakes!

Last edited:

Limetwist98

Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not trying to blast a car in a drag race but definitely don't want to build a 454 and be disappointed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krogers98gmc