Gear drives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Who likes gear drives? Other than the noise, are there really any benefits to one? I have always been interested but have never used one, I kind of want to try it, any advice?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
I would say there stronger than a chain

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
More money, noisier, no benefit over chains.

Double roller sets are stupid cheap.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You can get quiet ones and there is a couple bennifits. One, no chain to stretch so cam timing remains consistant. Second, last longer than a chain. I like them but for a street engine they aren't really needed.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Exactly, Ive always ran the noisey ones, I love the sound. But they keep the timing dead acurate. The only downside is a harmonic sent thrue the cam. But Its not enough to cause any greif. If you have the funds, Ide go gears. If not, double roller.

The only reason i went with a double roller in my newest engine, is its a roller cam engine, and the price difference and short of funds wouldnt allow me to get a gear drive.

85c10owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I`ve heard the harmonics complaint for years and I`ll tell you that after 20+yrs of using geardrives I`ve never seen a engine go because of harmonics. The gear to gear contact is no different than the ring and pinion mesh or the transmission gear mesh. Double roller chains have come a long way since the geardrive was introduced and I`ve used them too. just depends on the application. Street motor I`d use the chain. High RPM race engine I`d use the geardrive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Misty Blue