Gauge cluster not working at all

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garftree

Reaction score
First Name
brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
hello, just a quick overview of the truck:
so i just picked up a 1986 c20 suburban with a 454 and rebuilt 400 trans. i was planning on pulling the motor and trans(this is why i got it) out putting it in my 79 c10 but im not sure yet.

so it has very little rust, its actually not bad at all, so the only problems that i knew of. it was missing the back window, the gearbox leaked and so does the power steering pump. both he gave me extra.

now that i have had it and went to drive it at night the dash lights never came on, and i also noticed all the gauges except the speedo were not doing anything. so i pulled the cluster and checked it over, great shape all around. so i thought it was bad, so i pulled one out i had from an 86 dump truck, it didn't do a thing, the one out of my c10 (which is working fine) does not work either.

i don't have my multi meter until tomorrow night, or i would test the plug.
i have checked the fuse for the dash its fine.
anyone have any ideas why its completely dead?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
No ground?

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The 86 dump truck I don't think would work anyways, they're pinned different than the older trucks I do believe

garftree

Reaction score
First Name
brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
the ground from the wire harness goes directly to the metal dash(appears to be factory ground it appears.i really need to get my meter back.

i was guessing the dump truck gauges wouldn't work, just a random swing in the dark, but i would think the 79 c10 cluster would work that truck runs and those gauges worked.

my thought it is the printed circuit, but still the other gauge cluster should have worked. at least something move or light up.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Two fuses involved in this.

One - in the slot labeled GAUGE/IDLE - supplies power to drive the actual gauges. The other - a 5 amp in the INST LPS slot - supplies the various instrument lamps. But it doesn't get its power from the fuse block. That power is lead out from the rheostat in the H/L switch.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

garftree

Reaction score
First Name
brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I got my multimeter back yay!.
Ill check that other fuse you speak of when I get home tonight.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Also - for the lighting issue - verify power (3-9 VDC depending on rheostat position) is available at the dark green wire coming out of the H/L switch.

You must be registered for see images attach

As for gauge function, that pink/black circuit goes a lot of places besides the dash panel. The power for the detent solenoid in your TH400 transmission for example:

i just picked up a 1986 c20 suburban with a 454 and rebuilt 400 trans. - is on that circuit. Does the transmission kickdown?

BTW - most of the engine controls on an LE8/LT9 (i.e 454) motor are powered by that circuit as well.

If that fuse is open and you replace it, you might realize a big improvement in performance - if it is the LT9 (TBI) version. If it's carbureted, maybe not such a change. But your transmission should start kicking down.

Last edited:

garftree

Reaction score
First Name
brendan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
so i got my multimeter and tested everything i could think of, nothing. it wasn't until my 3rd time testing around that i noticed the harness going to the fuse box was crushed looking.
i pulled it apart and it looks like someone hit it with an axe. i rewired them all, and i got gauges. not lights tho. so checked the fuses again both were blown. replaced them and all is well. drove it 2 days now and everything works.
that blast seat belt chime is loud as hell. but it works.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1