gas pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

royc

Reaction score
First Name
roy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 10
Engine Size
Hello folk's can anyone tell me why the gas pedal is getting harder and harder
to accellerate its getting noticeable at this point. Thanks for your help in
advance Royc

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Could be a trans or throttle cable starting to binding up?

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
What have you done to troubleshoot? Have you pulled anything off and tried to move it?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Ahh... he started this thread. So obviously, he pulled the dust cover off his keyboard and moved the mouse around.

Sorry.

Brothers has the accelerator cable for your truck - $19.99.

http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TCA0070

The steel cable sometimes frays. Eventuallly the strands get bent over and jammed inside the sheathing which causes binding.

You can try to surgically snip the snarled wires but it usually is easier to just release the old one from the carb and accelerator arm. You'll see how messed up it is. Then, get a new one, shove it through the firewall and reattach.

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
When I put a new Edelbrock 1406 on my truck, I put a new accelerator cable also because the pedal was pretty hard to accelerate, and strange as it may seem, it's just as tough as the old one. Then I removed one of the return springs off the carb(it had two), it softend it up a little bit, but it eventually wore out the single spring and it wouldn't return, and that is a major concern. I'm glad the spring gave out in an empty parking lot while in park on a rev. So I'm right back where I started. Two spings, and a pedal thats tough as sheet!:banghead:

wildcatjason

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
cummins 3.9 4bt
When I put a new Edelbrock 1406 on my truck, I put a new accelerator cable also because the pedal was pretty hard to accelerate, and strange as it may seem, it's just as tough as the old one. Then I removed one of the return springs off the carb(it had two), it softend it up a little bit, but it eventually wore out the single spring and it wouldn't return, and that is a major concern. I'm glad the spring gave out in an empty parking lot while in park on a rev. So I'm right back where I started. Two spings, and a pedal thats tough as sheet!:banghead:
I've had problems with edelbrock accelerators stick in the past the problem is they make the accelerator pump out of plastic it use to be steel. They bend from use and get in a bind. I went through 3 of them until I met a nice old mechanic who gave me a steel accelerator pump from an old carb.
Check and make sure it isn't bending here is a pic of it.
You must be registered for see images attach

It will be located in the front passenger side of the carb.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I see sometimes that people, with the best of intentions to achieve a professional look, deliberately force the cable into a straight line from the firewall to the anchor bracket.

When they do that, the design shape (and flexiblity) are lost. That - what should I call it - half corkscrew/pigtail turn, is neccesary to compensate for lateral misalignment.

There is almost a foot of offset between the firewall penetration and the clamping point at the bracket.

So making it run directly from the firewall hole to the bracket (and then forcing it to make a hard dogleg left from the bracket to the throttle arm) is just asking for kinking and binding issues.

You can't easily pull and push stiff steel cable through hard turns on a single plane - any turns need to have that roller coaster look to it.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Any resolution on this? I'm having the same problem with my 84 k20

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My 84 is the same. Kinda hard to drive a manual trans with a sticky accelerator pedal.

I took the cable off, sprayed a liberal amount of brake clean through it and then sprayed some lube down it. It's noticeably better, but not as good as it should be.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Edelbrock carbs seems to be that way.unless that accel. pump helps.
New cable time.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Nope, Looks like royc has left the building !!! :sad72: Maybe one of those who comes in asks for help, gets the help and never reports back. He'll be back again someday when something else breaks.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Nope, Looks like royc has left the building !!! :sad72: Maybe one of those who comes in asks for help, gets the help and never reports back. He'll back again someday when something else breaks.

YUP,happens so many times,its the same in most "Help" type forums.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
YUP,happens so many times,its the same in most "Help" type forums.

:rofl: The kind of people when they come back and say my transmission is slipping, what do I do, and you tell them to install 5 tubes of Aluma Seal radiator stop leak and drive it for 100 miles, if that don't fix it nothing will. :laughing1:

That ought to be enough to destroy their trans that was a quart low on fluid. :rofl:

donniesoprano

Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I had a very similar problem with my 82. the throttle throw was almost non-existant and the play was VERY stiff.

Replaced throttle cable with universal cable kit cut to the correct length and it's easy and has full range now.

Wasn't hard to do and made a huge difference.

ds

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:rofl: The kind of people when they come back and say my transmission is slipping, what do I do, and you tell them to install 5 tubes of Aluma Seal radiator stop leak and drive it for 100 miles, if that don't fix it nothing will. :laughing1:

That ought to be enough to destroy their trans that was a quart low on fluid. :rofl:

lmao. :roflbow:

I had a very similar problem with my 82. the throttle throw was almost non-existant and the play was VERY stiff.

Replaced throttle cable with universal cable kit cut to the correct length and it's easy and has full range now.

Wasn't hard to do and made a huge difference.

ds

Just curious why universal rather than OE style, does not seem to be much of a difference in price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gage T