Fuse blows instantly.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
Hey guys I'm at a loss with this truck. I'm to the point of setting fire to it. It's a 88 gmc suburban 1500. The horn and dome light fuse keeps popping. It's supposed to have a 20a fuse in it. I tried a 30a and it still pops it without any hesitation, I can't even get the fuse in completely before it pops. Now I've done some searching through the threads and found the schematics and what all I assume to be attached to the fuse (horn, done light, cigarette lighter). But I've done what I can to figure it out and was curious if any of y'all my know what I can try to figure it out. It's never done it before and now all of a sudden it's doing it. I would assume short but not sure on what. I have pulled the bulbs, unhooked the horns themselves and even took my grant steering wheel off thinking it was the cause and nope. Still pops everytime. I read the horn fuse works the section in the fuse box that's labeled Battery and so I unplugged the orange wires that went into it and still blows the fuse. There is nothing in the cigarette lighter so it shouldn't cause it. Can anybody help as far as what to check next? Such as what all is wired into this fuse? Any help is much appreciated

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Try unplugging the connectors to the cig lighter. And trace them checking for melted wire along the way.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

dot4x4

Reaction score
First Name
scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Also look under the drivers side door sill. The wiring for the dome lights run under there and are known to short out there.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok I'll check those on me next couple days off. What else do you think it could be? I don't want to strip out my whole interior on my suburban to find it. That's a lot of work. Lol. I'm hoping it's something stupid and easy to spot

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You are correct that fuse powers all the batt terminals above it so you have removed all those wires already and it's still blowing the fuse. That only leaves one circuit to check. There should be a floor courtesy light under the middle of the dash in the vicinity of the ash tray. It's got a black housing. It takes a smaller looking 1156 bulb. See if there is a bulb in that socket and if there is pull the bulb out and see if the fuse still pops.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank you guys!!! I found the problem. The lovely previous owner had used a fold over splice connector thing on the cigarette lighter and for some reason cut whatever they wired in off, well long story short it was shorting out. No pun intended. Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm