Fuel tank selector switch HELP!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
I need some help in getting the wiring for the fuel tank selector switch that is in the cab correct. I've looked at wiring pics for hours and still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I have a 73 C10 Heavy half ton. It has two saddle tanks. Previous owner had a two position 5 pin toggle switch on the dash. The pass sending unit wasn't even hooked up. I replaced the toggle with a 3 position, 6 pin switch and currently have these wires going to it. It's the position of the wires that I'm unable to get right. Left tank sending unit, Right tank sending unit, power from panel, ground, fuel gauge, and power to the tank switch valve.

Do I even have the right wires going to the switch? If so, where do they go on the switch itself? If not, which wires should be going to the switch? Do I even have the right switch? When I have the ignition on, one tank says it's overfull, and the other is on empty.

I really need help on this and it's very frustrating working on this by myself. I'm really getting upset.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Don't stress, we'll git it!

First; here's the wiring diagram;

You must be registered for see images attach

Second, understand how this system works. If the transfer valve is the original style, it is a solenoid operated type. If power is applied, the valve is switched the auxiliary tank. Without power the valve is open to the production tank.

The only power involved at the switch is to the solenoid. The leads to the two senders are just sensing legs which are changed to the left and right tanks when the power is switched on and off.

So it's kind of like this:

You have 2 wires coming into the switch. One hot wire from the fuse block - should be pink/black - and one common sensing lead from the dash board gauge (should be tan).

Coming out of the switch, you will have 3 wires:

1. A light green that goes to the valve. It is connected to the pink/black hot wire only when the switch is set to the lefthand tank

2 & 3. A tan/white and a light blue these are the two sensing legs to the individual senders in each tank. When the switch is moved the common sensing lead from the dash gauge is moved from the tan/white to the light blue - or viceversa.

See what you can do with that. I have to do some stuff - like clean the boiler, winter is coming fast.

I don't know what switch you are trying to wire in. You will have to play around with the switch and a meter to see which terminals do what when the switch is moved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising