Fuel pump pushrod won’t slide into block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
Jacob, I bought my '85 454 dually in 2005. Owner had put an electric pump on it. Pump would lose prime when fuel gauge didn't work and tank went dry. I switched to the Carter electric in about 2006 but not the one in the other poster's picture. This one was from Summit and was shaped more like a bell and fuel entered/exited along bottom section of pump. It can lose prime and still pull fuel. It's used in over the road reefers to pull fuel up to the fridge unit. It's worked like a champ since I bought it and still does. Mounted on the rail in the back, fore and aft filters like was mentioned, mounted relay in engine compartment on passenger side, and a pressure regulator nearby. The Carter (model I don't remember) puts out 9 or more psi. The pressure regulator would show if the pump is giving you what you need at your carb. If a filter is clogged before the pump you could get problems similar to what you described. Sorry I didn't see this before you bought your electrics.

Btw, the original owner claimed the rod on his fuel pump broke off inside the engine and he couldn't mount a new mechanical pump, so thus switched to electric. I thought it sounded like a fairy tale. Maybe not?

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I’m not sure in your situation. I also don’t understand why if the accelerator pump is squirting fuel why it doesn’t start. The original electric pump lost prime after previous owner used it to suck all the fuel out for a bonfire. It’s got probably half a tank currently. It’s also got a 78 k10 sending unit I put in since the K5 sending unit had been lengthened since it didn’t reach the bottom of the tank. I need to get the fuel situation figured out

drumvirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-30
Engine Size
Pump came in, temp installed it outside of the frame rail since there’s only a 3” chunk of rubber line between the tank and frame. I just added longer and put it there. The pump fills the filter right before the carb maybe half way? And the engine won’t start unless I give it a dribble of fuel. Once it’s running I let it run for probably 15 minutes. Put it in gear, it stalled and just cranked and cranked and cranked. Accelerator pump is spritzing fuel, I’ve pumped repeatedly, held it to the floor, nothing just cranking. Dribble a couple drops of fuel and it fired right up.
Fuel starvation? Possible scenario:

The "dribble of fuel" is enough to start it, along with the tad of fuel from the starved pump. The "run for probably 15 minutes" would be extremely lean running. The "Put it in gear and it stalled" is stalling due to fuel starvation under load. The "crank and crank" is without that extra "dribble" it needs to start because of starvation. The "spritzing" is less than needed to start it, again, due to fuel starvation.

Blocked fuel filter somewhere? A pressure regulator would show it, except if you have a filter just before the carb like on a quadrajet. Solution? Add a pressure regulator and new fuel filter or filters.

Hope that helps.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I can change the filter at the carb, it was actually running rich when it first got started, I turned the mixture screws in a half turn each so I could withstand being around it. I know the lines were clean before I put the pump in. I blew air through the lines and it blew fuel out(disconnected from carb so didn’t fill carb) I also put air in the vent line at the tank to try and push fuel to help the pump initially prime. I’ll investigate the filter right before the carb just incase. May see if without it in place if the pump will fill say a water bottle or something. There isn’t the vacuum line hooked to the trans also, If that’s important, it’s sitting on the dash I found that after I got it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell