fuel guage goes to E when lights turned on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

86chevyk20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Liam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My fuel guage seems to be acting a bit strange. my guage does work but sometimes if you tap it, it bounces around. And this is werid, when i turn my lights on the guage goes to E and when the turn signals are on the needel twitches.

This is strange

elstm3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
lynn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 crew cab dually
Engine Size
6.2 twin turbo diesel
I would say ground issue also. It could also have a bad or weak connection from the posts on the gauge to the back of the gauge cluster. in my brothers s-10 the fuel gauge goes to empty and back to the level when you turn the blinker on :roflbow:. and goes empty when the lights are on.

flyguy_17

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
My 85 K30 just started doing the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. Gas Gauge reads normal until I turn the lights on to either clearance lights or full headlights. Also, the right blinker light in the dash comes on solid and stays on and most of the instrument panel is black. With the switch in the clearance lights setting, the high beam headlight indicator is on. I'm guessing it has to be a ground on the printed circut board. Anyone know of a good place to get replacement circuit boards?

zieg85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
7.4L
I had the same exact issue with my 85 C20 when I first got it. It turned out to be the printed circuit board on the back of the speedometer cluster. I went to the local pick and pull and harvested one off a nice Suburban with a quartz clock for $35.

Dyl0116

Reaction score
First Name
Dyllenn
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My fuel gauge acts as a flasher when the right signal comes on.. needle bounces down to less then e, then when signal is turned off, guage slowly climbs up..

Oregon78k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 V8
I literally just had this happen to me tonight... but my left blinker indicator stays on aswell..lol

roadtriper

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Everyting here sounds like ground issues to me. which can also be poor connections on the back of the cluster as well I'd first check the grounds for the front lights at either the fenders or the radiator support.and make sure there is a good Battery to Frame ground and a good frame to body ground. 25+ years of corrosion can do bad things

For the brother with the S-10 there is a ground wire under the dash to the left of the steering column(10mm head) that comes loose and will cause all sorts of demonic things to occur with lights, the radio , guages etc.

Back to the C/K
the gauges are atatched to the circuit board with spring clips and sometimes will get a loose connection with the circuit board and or the posts on the guage. they can be removed, cleaned and tweaked to tighten them up. also the ceramic resistor on the back of the gauges has a silver printed circuit that tarnishes and can be cleaned up.

best method to find bad grounds is performing a "Voltage Drop test" with a Volt meter with the system powered up and perferably the fault occuring.
take the neg test lead at the neg post of the battery and touch the positive test lead to the engine block, the frame, the body, the component etc. if you see more than .2-.5 volts you have a poor ground. i.e it's trying to find a better ground through your meter. you can take you 2 test leads between any 2 points as well like the frame to body etc. this can be done on any connection or any circuit positive or neg. but the system needs to be loaded.
rule of thumb is you'll have a max .2 volt drop for each connection and a .3 volt drop through a switch or relay.
when in doubt... run a redundant ground to the component acting up and see if it corrects the problem? you cant have too many grounds! RT

roadtriper

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Also there is a ground wire from the fuel gauge sending unit(s) that atatches to the Bed or maybe the frame that needs to be clean and tight

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fnny6770