Fuel gauge question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
I am considering buying a gauge cluster that has a small fuel gauge that I need for my tachometer setup. But I need advice on something. I have seen a picture of the fuel gauge and it reads aorund 1/4 to 1/8 a tank UNPLUGGED from any fuel sending unit. Is this normal? It seems that most I see like this read EMPTY when disconnected, like all my large (non tach) ones that I have stored. The LAST thing I need is a bad fuel gauge because not knowing how much gas is in my truck is something that I NEVER tolerate.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
What's normal for our trucks? Mine was at 1/2 unplugged but I didn't want to mess with it.

jgasca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
I am considering buying a gauge cluster that has a small fuel gauge that I need for my tachometer setup. But I need advice on something. I have seen a picture of the fuel gauge and it reads aorund 1/4 to 1/8 a tank UNPLUGGED from any fuel sending unit. Is this normal? It seems that most I see like this read EMPTY when disconnected, like all my large (non tach) ones that I have stored. The LAST thing I need is a bad fuel gauge because not knowing how much gas is in my truck is something that I NEVER tolerate.

Not sure if this helps but I have an instrument cluster here that I'm gonna selling soon

You must be registered for see images attach

FRANKENTRUCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Pierce
Truck Year
1981 1968
Truck Model
C10 Deluxe Stepside C10
Engine Size
350 with 350 Turbo transmission
That fuel gauge is doing EXACTLY what I am talking about. When you plug it in does it go to an accurate reading?

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
The gauge can read anything unplugged. If it works otherwise, then I'd just fill the tank and if the needle doesn't read full, pull the needle off and reset it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John46953