front end ring and pinion swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have an 85 k10. I've noticed in 4wd it hops like a **** and lately a really horrible noise has been coming from the front pumpkin. I only put it in 4wd twice because it doesn't take a genius to figure out I have the wrong gear ratio. I pulled the front cover and no metal shavings in the fluid, but there was some idk how else to describe it but burnt on carbon on the diff cover in patches. If that makes sense.. The front ratio is different and I need to put a 3.08 ring and pinion in the front. I've heard its pretty difficult to get all the shims lined up correctly and it isn't going to be a cake walk by any means. But has anyone ever changed ring gears in the front end of these k10's? If so help and tips would be more than appreciated.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Ive set up rear ends, and i think its simple as can be.
Get yourself a shim assortment when you go to put the carrier back in.

Konas new ride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gerald
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Lets start with this question.. What gears are in that diff? You might need a different carrier if the ratio is to far apart.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The rears are the stock 3.08 front is 2.80. I'm going to get an installation kit when I do buy the ring and pinion it comes with the shims and other stuff.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Am I going to have to disassemble the hubs and pull the snub axles? Am I better going to a driveline shop?? Anyone?

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The ring and pinion is one thing I've never touched and have no idea how to work on. That being said, I believe you have to pull the axle shafts out before you can remove the carrier.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ballls I didn't want to have to the hubs again.
Has anyone done a write up on swapping a ring and pinion on one of the straight axle chevys? I have find nothing on the process involved. I got an idea how to do it. But I'm certainly not one to dive into a project half assed not knowing what to do.

BowTieJockey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Disassemble both sides of the axle (you can leave the knuckles on), drain your fluid, pull the axles out about 6 inches, remove the ring and pinion completely buy replacement parts as needed and reinstall it all. However I'm going to speak for every one and say we all wish it were that easy. Pulling it is easy however installing gears is something that is beyong my knowledge when it come s to trucks however I know for a fact that in crazy4offroad rebuilt his axles in his build thread, which could possible help a little. If he chimes in here at any time soon I'm sure he would be obliged to help, as everyone seems do to on this wonderful forum.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hmmm I'm thinking I'm going to call a couple 4wd shops tonight and just see how much it would be to have a professional do it. I'll look for his thread when I get the chance.

aGood'olBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremiah
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I got quoted for around 1000$ parts and labor at a local drivetrain shop. Another shop said 550$ if I take the entire axle out from the truck and bring it to them.
Scanned on craigslist for 10 minutes found a guy who has pllllennty of square body axles. He told me he most likely has the axle I need with the correct gear ratio. 150$
Booo Yahhh

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garcjay