front brake hoses suck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
why in the wordl did gm put them things where they did. The inside of the frame rails, wow talk about rough to get to unless you got a step line wrench or something. It's a big pain.

Had to change them out on the 84 c10 today, had brakes dragging on it, not releasing, hard to rotate the wheels off the ground, couldn't free wheel more then 1/4 turn.

The PS was locking up, and once pryed over it moved better, but once the hose was off it freed up.

The PS one was blocked by the other lines, had to remove the hard line from the prop. valve and cut it at the bend where it goes into the brake hose. The DS wasn't too bad, I got a wrench locked on it but had to turn the hose part to get the line off.

The icing on the cake was after fighting the PS one with a wrench, 3/8 line wrench from craftsman, stripped off, tried locking pliers, didn't seem to do anything, WWWWEEELLLL we get the rubber hose off, cut the hard line, go to remove the hard from the hose, it unscrews by hand. You got to be kidding me, how that happened not a clue, guess it came loose at some point and we couldn't tell. That would have saved us buying a new front hard line and cutting it off.

So tomorrow we have to buy a new hardline, bend it to fit, and then change the hoses(just have to unbolt from the calipers) we already have them, then we gotta bleed the system.

Just figured I'd rant on them, not to mention the stupid nut thing that holds them into the frame rail, that thing sucks. it appears ours had the DS hose changed but never the PS one. Reason, the new hoses have a thick nut to grab onto, and a horsehoe clip to keep them from pulling thru the framerail, the old ones are solid washer like and very thin nut, barely enough to get a wrench on.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea and to beat all it was the new calipers that were junk. Well one anyways. Got the new line put on today, both flex hoses, bled them, PS still locked up, compress the caliper and it spin, so we changed out that caliper. Have to put the wheels back on and test drive tonight.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's much easier to do in a 4x4.

If you don't care about looks and you plan on replacing the hardlines (which is usually needed around here), leave the old stuff in place and cut it off at the frame. Then run the new line/hose under the frame, with a simple little "L" bracket to support it.

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's much easier to do in a 4x4.

Oh it's a joke on a 4x4. You have all the room in the world to work around the connections. I actually came into this thread wondering how anyone could have issues with changing the hoses out on a truck before I noticed he was talking about a 2wd. :anitoof:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
yea 4wd is easy been there done that, 2wd the ds aint too bad, it's tough but not jumbled up by fuel lines and fuel pump like the PS. The DS is just they made a dimple in the frame that sticks outward and makes it even harder to get in and get on good with a line wrench.

It's done now though finally, got a new line, removed the old, bent up the new hardline, installed the hoses, bled, had to replace the PS caliper, rebled, now it works good no more pulling to one side.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8

WHEELMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
BILL
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
454 v8
these old one piston caliphers..they get rust behind the piston..and thats it.they lock up on your rotor..better change both at the same time.you will have one stronger one and one weaker one..old brake lines.will give on the inside.

when the brakes are applied..i seen where.rear disk.caliphers.go bad.because.when the hand break is never used..to move the actuator screw.rust gets in there..

and when you have to turn that to get them off.to change the pads.a seal.pops and starts leaking..fluid..gm is good about..building vehicles.with cheap crap.in the brake systems.thats why they sell so much custom brake replacement stuff.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
this has been done for weeks now. I only changed the one caliper, both were new not very old at all, one started acting up so we changed it.

Camo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 extended cab 4x4
Engine Size
4.8 V8
I dont usually change them in pairs unless they both need to be changed.

Glad it working out for ya.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe