Front axle off set to passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Try this;

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
are you missing a leaf
also got a little happy with grease i see

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I didn’t get happy with the grease I put it in until it seeped around boot but when I moved the truck it all exploded out
I don’t think the new leaf springs are missing a leaf?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

are these U bolt sets right? is this plate for a 10 bolt?
your hardwarew is seemingly strange too, looks like th u bolts arent equal around in threads abbove

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
it could possibly affect how body sway is presented.

It could, but if so, it's not right. There should be no binding at all on the bar, when on level ground and at ride height.

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong and why all my expensive ass grease is just dumping out of everywhere?

Also while adjusting drag link I moved the whole rear drag link, it’s torqued to 60ftlbs plus whatever it took to get cotter pin in so why does the joint move?

The drag link has slop in the ball and socket? Or it moves where fastened to the steering arm or pitman arm?

That looks like the Valvoline Crimson grease, or similar. It tends to be slimy and stringy, so that leakage is normal.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Can someone tell me what I’m doing wrong and why all my expensive ass grease is just dumping out of everywhere?

Also while adjusting drag link I moved the whole rear drag link, it’s torqued to 60ftlbs plus whatever it took to get cotter pin in so why does the joint move?
The grease issue is the spring loaded ball that blocks the hole is stuck. It might pop back out, but whatever it's oozing out technically wasn't needed as it is under a little pressure to be running out.
Either replace the zerk fitting, wait and it may release on its own, or just live with it. Worst issue is it can get a little crap in there, but it aint a wheel bearing so really no harm no foul.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Cause your pumping too much into the joint.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The ubolts were long to begin with, if you recall truck had 2” blocks in front when I got it to I reckon compensate the junk springs. I just cut them as low as I could at the time with an angle grinder. I could twist the drag link end toward rear of vehicle when I had the adjustment sleeve loose. I believe the steering arm side not sure I’m going to confuse myself, the wheel side of it lol. I had adjustment sleeve loose and I noticed while twisting it that the steering arm side would twist some too. The grease is “Red ‘N’ Tacky” thick as hell took forever to prime the grease gun. I’ll live with the grease zerk leaking and hope dirt plugs it or the little ball. I was born in August of ‘02 lol. I don’t believe I pumped too much in, I pumped until it started to seep around boot and that was full, I couldn’t get the front driveshaft to take grease for some reason the gun wouldn’t snap onto the fitting. I greased all the joints on the k10 while I had grease, I reckon there’s a shortage because red n tacky was all that was available and it was limited supply. I called collision place in my town and they didn’t answer phone sadly, I’ll try again tomorrow maybe. I plan on attempting to drive truck to work tomorrow.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Also, I got the story of the wreck today, while hauling a 16’ trailer a van pulled out and got tboned truck jack knifed and trailer took out one side of truck and as truck slid off road and hit ditch the trailer swung other way and took out other side. The cab, passenger door, and passenger fender are only original to truck parts. Everything is GM metal just not numbers matching. Other than dents and stuff from wreck the cab passenger door and fender are immaculate. Great paint and 0 rust. The drivers door sadly has a little bubbling on bottom and passenger side bed side behind tire has a small rust hole. I want to get it fixed but I can’t find paint that matches and I don’t want to paint the whole truck. Not yet at least.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It could, but if so, it's not right. There should be no binding at all on the bar, when on level ground and at ride height.

The drag link has slop in the ball and socket? Or it moves where fastened to the steering arm or pitman arm?

That looks like the Valvoline Crimson grease, or similar. It tends to be slimy and stringy, so that leakage is normal.
I wont claim to knoew about the sway bar behavior on truck because I havent taken one off yet, however, I know like on my park avenue and about every fwd car with unibody that the swar bars
But those push down on control arms, both sides, and in equal amounts, and when there body roll happens, its fighting that spring hard because it wants to go back to its state where its still got tension of course, but its not "tolerant" of sway in that its positively putting down any side to side shennanigins lol. whats the 2wd front sway bar connect to? control arms?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I wont claim to knoew about the sway bar behavior on truck because I havent taken one off yet, however, I know like on my park avenue and about every fwd car with unibody that the swar bars
But those push down on control arms, both sides, and in equal amounts, and when there body roll happens, its fighting that spring hard because it wants to go back to its state where its still got tension of course, but its not "tolerant" of sway in that its positively putting down any side to side shennanigins lol. whats the 2wd front sway bar connect to? control arms?

The sway bar only tries to limit travel, in relation to suspension travel on opposite sides. Same with a FWD car. If both sides of the suspension are at equal points in travel, the sway bar won't (shouldn't) have any stored energy, except for whatever binding there is in the bushings, where the bar mounts to the frame/unibody.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I have the sway bar drop brackets 75% installed I somehow lost a nut to one of the bolts, go me. I color matched the cups that hold on the sway bar to frame and painted the sway bar black. I’ll get it installed eventuslly. Got a lot going on right now..

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have the sway bar drop brackets 75% installed I somehow lost a nut to one of the bolts, go me. I color matched the cups that hold on the sway bar to frame and painted the sway bar black. I’ll get it installed eventuslly. Got a lot going on right now..
Sway bar will install no problem even with the axle offset, as it can slide laterally in the frame mount bushings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68