Fresh air duct installation - help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Hello everybody,

My 1987 Custom Deluxe was missing the fresh air duct from the air box to the radiator side. So I found it on LMC and ordered it. I just got it and I tried to install it. I bought the correct one (26", the longer one) but it seems too short, by at least 2-3". I tried to stretch it a little bit, but it is a little stiff. Looking at the engine bay trying to figure out what the problem was I noticed that the air box outlet is straight to the side. It is at 90 degrees to the engine, normal to the right side of the truck. Is it possible the the air box Instead should be rotated about 45 degrees so that the air duct would not have to do 90 degree elbow to connect to the connection on the side of the radiator ??
Thank you for your help.

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
So, you can install the air box only one way, so I cannot re-orient it. The hose is definitely too short. I'm lost....

Evans Ward

Reaction score
First Name
Evans
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
I also bought one from LMC and it seemed short too. Here's what I did to make it fit: placed hose in direct sunlight for several hrs to help soften it up, then pulled to stretch hose overall.
I secured end at front with a worm gear clamp and used a long zip tie at breather end. You could also use a heat gun sparingly if wanted.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
I used a piece of drier vent to extend my core support connection back to reach it.

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Is it TBI? I think the TBI fresh air duct went to the fender not the rad support. I'm not certain but I know I've seen pictures of some going to the fender.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
There are two different length ducting. 89-91 squares used a shorter piece, while older was about 3" longer. Just wondering if it is correct one for sure. Otherwise with some heat it could be stretched as mentioned. 88-98 went to the fender

paolotvl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paolo
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 - Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Thank you all for the answers. This is what I found out: LMC doesn't carry one for the 1987 tbi engine. It is unique to that year and I could not find it anywhere. It goes to the right of the radiator. So, in short, I ordered the wrong part. Since the correct part is not available, I decided to modify the one I bought and extend it. I bought a 3" pic pipe with two 4" rubber connector and I am going to extend the accordion hose with the pvc pipe. I'll post a picture when I'm done. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Thank you all for the answers. This is what I found out: LMC doesn't carry one for the 1987 tbi engine. It is unique to that year and I could not find it anywhere. It goes to the right of the radiator. So, in short, I ordered the wrong part. Since the correct part is not available, I decided to modify the one I bought and extend it. I bought a 3" pic pipe with two 4" rubber connector and I am going to extend the accordion hose with the pvc pipe. I'll post a picture when I'm done. Thanks

My 84 suburban's fresh air duct goes to the right side of the radiator, to the core support.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Carb and early tbi trucks had a same length ducting. The shorter one started with updated core support in 89

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Part number is 15592497 and as you already know it is NLA anywhere:

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76