Frame Repair Need Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Magnum44357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey, so I finally got some free time to work on the truck this last weekend. Took my old transfer case out and went to drop the new one in but got distracted with some new front springs and shocks :D so I took the front axle off and noticed some damage to the frame at the steering box and front cross member. I took off the steering box to see what the damage was, and I found a plate someone welded to the side of the frame. (read about the usual repairs, and this seemed to be a manufactured plate, not custom) All sounds great, but the welds are crappy as all get out... I'm no pro welder, but they are terrible :p so I ground off as much as I could in order to re-weld it myself, but need some advice as to if I should cut the plate off and re-weld the whole thing back on. lemme know what you think. Pics will be attached.

2nd part- The cross member

The right side of the crossmember has a pretty sever crack across it. I originally just figured I could weld it and call it good, but its separated quite a bit, and I'm worried it will just crack again. The crack is along a previous weld, so I think its highly possible its just going to happen again. I thought maybe I'd just unbolt it, weld it, and bolt it back, but if I have it off I might as well replace it with a new one. Now since the crack is pretty wide I'm not sure if the cross member is under constant stress. If I take it off will it be impossible to get back on?

Pictures 1,2 are the plate

Picture 3 is the inside/back of the steering box's crack (you'll notice a 1/4" plate welded to the back as well. I'm assuming he thought it would help. suggestions on that would be cool too!)

Picture 4 is the bottom of the cross member's crack

Picture 5 is the top/inside the frame of the cross member's crack

Open to all suggestions :D thanks for the time

-Magnum

Attachments

• IMAG0301.jpg
    IMAG0301.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 964
  • IMAG0302.jpg
    IMAG0302.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 546
  • IMAG0304.jpg
    IMAG0304.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 519
  • IMAG0305.jpg
    IMAG0305.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 515
  • IMAG0310.jpg
    IMAG0310.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 507

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yikes. :wtf:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I've had to get a frame patched up before and they used 2" wide x 3/16" thick metal plate and straddled the crack(s) and then welded it up good. The frame is still all jacked up but the cracks were fixed.

And those are some ugly welds. I think my dogs could weld better than that...lol...

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Looks like they used an arc welder, with the heat a little too high or too much arc, almost acting like a plasma cutter lol. If I were you I would try to carefully cut that mess off and see whatall they ****** up behind it. Clean the whole area, stripping paint, rust, and grind down all that excess weld. Check what's under there and see if it needs some welding/grinding. Then when you go to put that piece back on clamp it, tack it real good, move around to all the corners clamping/tacking. Then get the torch and BFH out, heat that mother trucker up and beat it into shape, closer to the frame for your other welds. Your other cracks you're dealing with, do the same. Clean them up, groove them a little, then weld them up and grind them down. Then cut a little bit of metal to plate over it.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
Looks like they used an arc welder, with the heat a little too high or too much arc, almost acting like a plasma cutter lol. If I were you I would try to carefully cut that mess off and see whatall they ****** up behind it. Clean the whole area, stripping paint, rust, and grind down all that excess weld. Check what's under there and see if it needs some welding/grinding. Then when you go to put that piece back on clamp it, tack it real good, move around to all the corners clamping/tacking. Then get the torch and BFH out, heat that mother trucker up and beat it into shape, closer to the frame for your other welds. Your other cracks you're dealing with, do the same. Clean them up, groove them a little, then weld them up and grind them down. Then cut a little bit of metal to plate over it.

X2..

On my truck,, it was so bad i had to cut the frame and weld a 3/4 ton frame horn section for the steering box........ i could have just cut a U section out and wraped it around the messed up part and did it that way?

Getting it exact took alot of patients and measuring for the full frame section......

i didnt like the weld in plate patch on the inside/kit deal.......

as far as the other cracks,, those are normal frame flex cracks,, i replaced the cross members.......

Last edited:

Magnum44357

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terrence
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Unfortunately I don't have a torch :(

Could I instead, cut out a 1/2" wide piece of 1/4" or 3/8" steel to fill in that large gap?

Thanks for the input btw, greatly appreciated.

-Magnum

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid

Could I instead, cut out a 1/2" wide piece of 1/4" or 3/8" steel to fill in that large gap?

-Magnum

i didnt use a torch to cut,, it just dont get a straight line,, or alot of grinding afterwards..

i used a skill saw?!?! yep the saw ya cut lumber with and use a cutting disk,, ya can get 3 packs for cheap @ chinamart......

as far as the gap,, thats usually how its done,, but try not to get it to hot,, it will soften the mettle and will be prone to cracking again.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Aaaaaccccckkkkk!!!! That's not even a formed patch, that locks like a section of rail that was simply torched off another truck and booger welded to your truck. Doesn't look like it's the right shape either, I'd guess it's from a 2wd truck.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205

-Magnum

I didn't mean a cutting torch. You can cut the patch off with a 4" angle grinder with a cutting wheel, just cutting at the welds. I was thinking propane or mapp gas to heat the metal and hammer it into shape, closer to the frame to weld. Bucket seems to think it was a chop out of another frame, I didn't look that close but if it is, and from not even the right truck, I would try to get that pulled off and done right.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
Aaaaaccccckkkkk!!!! That's not even a formed patch, that locks like a section of rail that was simply torched off another truck and booger welded to your truck. Doesn't look like it's the right shape either, I'd guess it's from a 2wd truck.

factory specs....

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
After looking at it again I have to agree it doesn't look like it belongs. Since Saginaw steering boxes are so common on the Big 3 it's hard to tell where that frame section came from. Not sure if this will help but here's the post from my build thread where I had to fix my frame not too long ago...
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=113392#post113392
At least you can see how it is supposed to be shaped, instead of, whatever that is someone tried to graft on there.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
What are you showing me?

I think that the C & K frames are the same. Which is why I started thinking it may be from one of the other brands. Or gens, who knows.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I think that the C & K frames are the same. Which is why I started thinking it may be from one of the other brands. Or gens, who knows.

They are very close, but not the same exactly. Sometimes the 4x4 rails are just a smidge taller, and they about always have slightly different holes punched out and different contours.

Tyger13us

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
450hp/357cid
They are very close, but not the same exactly. Sometimes the 4x4 rails are just a smidge taller, and they about always have slightly different holes punched out and different contours.

good write up........

that frame horn section came off a 3/4 ton gmc 4x4,,, its alot thicker, mated to a k10 frame...

i guess thats why it looks funky to you,, but the section cut off fit right inside of it perfect,, 3/4 ton frames are a wee bit wider from lip to lip,, the only thing that was changed was the rad support updated from an 82 k1500 for the front mounts,,,,, 78's are different mounts..............

tracks straight dont pull,, i can let go of the wheel and it goes straight,, well depends on the road of coarse....... all wheels are straight its not \ \ or //...

front to rear are exact measurements and so is X wise exactly...

and at over 130 mph im sure i would notice if it wasnt right........

the dent in the top was an adjustment, BFH,,LOL.........

I live in the land of rock crawlers and they know what there talking about,, ok fix it for me............ its brusted...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Green K10