ford blue orifice tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Cools better at highway speed than idle. But that is on suburban. I am actually now on the orange tube. On a swb truck I used to have it actually felt like it was cooling better at idle than speed, but I had a small leak and it might have just been low on freon situation. I am about to flush hole system, install new compressor and run with orange tube. Will update on how it works.(in couple of weeks, need to extend ac lines and make compressor brackets). On my TA I am going to be trying a red tube.
I thought that you said that you went with a blue, which is what lead me down the path of researching. It seems that there were a lot of people that bitched about "it could" lead to not cooling down the highway but no one had anything to back that up.

Have you noticed a difference at highway speeds?

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I mainly use the truck around town, so I never drove it for an extended period on the highway. However, I never noticed the air temp being lower at higher speeds.

Also, its hard to get the R134a exactly right with a conversion, and I could see some possible issues if you are off a little either way. For example, my truck has a low temp cutoff sensor/tube in the evaporator that is supposed to kick in at about 35 degrees to protect the compressor. There are times on the highway that you might actually hit that temp and it would make the compressor cycle off.

Bruce

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
For a long time I wanted to add temp control board to the hvac panel that would cycle the compressor to archive desired temp range

Last edited:

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
For a long time I wanted to add temp control board to the hvac panel that would cycle the compressor to archive desired temp range

I used GM white in my Jimmy once I got it going. Now I gotta do the Olds, and I’ve been planning on doing 50/50 city and highway so the blue seems like a good idea. Any more thoughts/developments on this? You bypassed red and went orange? I don’t want to rock the boat too much, but I don’t want to realize later that an x smaller orifice tube that I didn’t use would have compensated for at least some of the R12 performance loss. @yevgenievich

Last edited:

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I used GM white in my Jimmy once I got it going. Now I gotta do the Olds, and I’ve been planning on doing 50/50 city and highway so the blue seems like a good idea. Any more thoughts/developments on this @yevgenievich
I have been putting blue by default on any old gm ac application, but apparently according to older notes running orange in the suburban and red in the TA. Suburban cools pretty good, better than factory 1998 e320 or 2006 ford e350, and similar(maybe a bit better than) to 2001 suburban.
TA has good temps, but blower speeds are lacking in power. Works ok overall.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
My current blower works fairly well, but I think more air flow would improve the A/C performance.

Someone posted a suggestion a while back about using the blower motor from a GMT400 truck (88-98) to improve the air flow on a squarebody. Does anybody know what parts number I would be looking for?

Bruce

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My current blower works fairly well, but I think more air flow would improve the A/C performance.

Someone posted a suggestion a while back about using the blower motor from a GMT400 truck (88-98) to improve the air flow on a squarebody. Does anybody know what parts number I would be looking for?

Bruce
If the GMT400 is a one ton 3500 series and a crew cab, You can go up to the years 2000. I do not know if the extended and standard cab would fall into that category though.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have been seeing people installing what there calling sandens in place of the R4 or a6. I have A6 style compressor. Are the brackets and new hoses also needed for this swap. I would assume they are. Are those that are needed factory parts off some vehicle model that you can sources that way?

And if there is a thread on this subject just point me that way. Thanks

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I have been seeing people installing what there calling sandens in place of the R4 or a6. I have A6 style compressor. Are the brackets and new hoses also needed for this swap. I would assume they are. Are those that are needed factory parts off some vehicle model that you can sources that way?

And if there is a thread on this subject just point me that way. Thanks
Aftermarket bracket and custom hoses. Some times custom hoses actually end up cheaper than factory premade

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Aftermarket bracket and custom hoses. Some times custom hoses actually end up cheaper than factory premade

This is the route I'm going. Hopefully get the parts today. Reviews for the "Sanden style" direct fit A6 weren't so great causing my to choose this option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii