For your absorption and contemplation I bring you a rumination of the reverie of burnt cats on toast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yes, H-Pipe. No to lope, but that's just me. Crusty Biscuit had a lopey cam but it made the engine gutless. It wouldn't rev high, lacked power, but sounded cool at idle.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
H-pipe before finishing the trimming of hangers and whatnot. This was also slapped together within an hour lol, just a "get me by" exhaust. Would recommend not welding the H-pipe solid, just use band clamps instead. In case you have to drop the exhaust or drivetrain.]

I hope you mean v-band clamps cause I ******* hate exhaust hanger style clamps. Have never had any luck with them.If so I get what your saying and you are 100% right. I will be swapping to v-band for the headers eventually because im not a huge fan of the 3 bolt flange either... may do a vband for the h pipe too but ill probably just weld it for now til i buy the vband flanges

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
What's rust? We don't have that in Commiefornia.

You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah that looks pretty fricken nice Craig...
I was speaking from my own experiences... that's all. Oh and btw, I still make a crossover whenever I get an exhaust together on one of my trucks.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Yes, H-Pipe. No to lope, but that's just me. Crusty Biscuit had a lopey cam but it made the engine gutless. It wouldn't rev high, lacked power, but sounded cool at idle.

Mine is a very mild cam. It only chops below 800 rpm and even then its mild. I actually swapped from a lunati 292 cam to this xe262 just for that reason...it was a too much cam before.

My brother had it built once before and just told them give me the biggest cam that will work so they did. Yknow how it is. Guy walks in and tell yous what he want..who are you say different,LOL.
I kept telling him he was going overboard and have no brakes or power to speak of. what do you know he pulled the motor before it had maybe 100 miles on it and I made some changes.
I can tell you it aint a turd anymore but then, everything is relative.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
They say the H pipe gives a power boost in the midrange, but I like the sound of two separate duals.

See thats what im pondering. I truly wont know how it is going to affect the idle until I do it though. If it sucks Ill weld it back the way it was. No big deal. I really dont give AF about making any more power than it already does unless we are talking a significant difference like nos or boost. Its a longbed that will roast the tires(tire sorry,LOL) from a 20-30 roll with 2.76 gears. I cant imagine once I go 4.10 ill need any more oomph. If and when i do it will be more than an hpipe will provide. But for now its just about the pleasure of enjoying something ive put together. built not bought is more than a bumper sticker.

Michael Benardo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C 25
Engine Size
292 Cubes
See thats what im pondering. I truly wont know how it is going to affect the idle until I do it though. If it sucks Ill weld it back the way it was. No big deal. I really dont give AF about making any more power than it already does unless we are talking a significant difference like nos or boost. Its a longbed that will roast the tires(tire sorry,LOL) from a 20-30 roll with 2.76 gears. I cant imagine once I go 4.10 ill need any more oomph. If and when i do it will be more than an hpipe will provide. But for now its just about the pleasure of enjoying something ive put together. built not bought is more than a bumper sticker.
It won't hurt idle or improve it either. It might give you a small boost in part-throttle mid-range performance. But it will sound different. I like the sound of 2 separate duals, but some other guys like the sound of duals with an H pipe. I doubt you will consider the effort worth it.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
For sure ditch the 3 bolt flanges, I think hedman are the ones who has a ball flange style and those are the next best thing to v bands.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Mines true dual with no H pipe and Flowmaster mufflers and exits before rear wheels. No popping at all because that's gay. I think that's your glasspacks or cherry bombs. I can't stand those popping exhaust!

Guy at works has that popping **** on his Dodge truck. It's ******* awful!! Everyone laughs at him when he starts it at lunch and drives off. Lol

A small drone at about 15 to 20 mph when going thru the neighborhood but, I don't mind it. I rarely go that slow and this mf will smoke the tires from a dead stop too. So throttle response is just fine with me. :burnout:

I like the true duals. :peace:

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Yeah that looks pretty fricken nice Craig...
I was speaking from my own experiences... that's all. Oh and btw, I still make a crossover whenever I get an exhaust together on one of my trucks.

Me too. I stand corrected, I have some rust on my driveshaft.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
You have good luck with those? never tried them. Looks waaay better than those damn c clamp *****,LOL
Yep I've even ran undersize clamps before, just trying trying to get home. A lot of big rig kits use all kinds of band clamps

You'll have a very hard time stripping the threads out on these things, even the cheap ones. They seal pretty well also, and if you do have a leak by, just put some muffler cement on the seam of the pipes inside the clamp and clamp it down.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Yep I've even ran undersize clamps before, just trying trying to get home. A lot of big rig kits use all kinds of band clamps

You'll have a very hard time stripping the threads out on these things, even the cheap ones. They seal pretty well also, and if you do have a leak by, just put some muffler cement on the seam of the pipes inside the clamp and clamp it down.

Right on. I have a few slip joints left so i could make that work pretty easy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hugger-4641