For your absorption and contemplation I bring you a rumination of the reverie of burnt cats on toast

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Yep thats the question. I have enough pipe so I may as well if its worth the effort.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've never done a before and after so I cannot tell you if there is any change in anything it's always been a fresh build on a new project, but the theory is there and I believe it so I run them.The theory is just like your 4 into 1 header the exhaust pulse from the previous cylinder helps evacuate the next cylinder.The h pipe creates a low pressure pulse from side to side, so the left side helps evacuate the right and vice versa. If you've got the pipe why not run one?

My last build bigger motor, better heads,lots of cam, single plane manifold,etc.etc gear change.Did the H pipe make or break that I doubt it, but it didn't hurt it.

Last edited:

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
At 30mph I was getting unbearable drone with two straight pipes with mufflers and short turn downs so I installed a cross pipe using the same size pipe and utilizing a slip joint on one side so I can pull the pipe and mufflers individual and don’t need to fight both at one time. Cut down on the drone a bunch and it is now a pleasure to drive around.
You must be registered for see images attach

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
I've never done a before and after so I cannot tell you if there is any change in anything it's always been a fresh build on a new project, but the theory is there and I believe it so I run them.The theory is just like your 4 into 2 header the exhaust pulse from the previous cylinder helps evacuate the next cylinder.The h pipe creates a low pressure pulse from side to side, so the left side helps evacuate the right and vice versa. If you've got the pipe why not run one?

My last build bigger motor, better heads,lots of cam, single plane manifold,etc.etc gear change.Did the H pipe make or break that I doubt it, but it didn't hurt it.

Only reason im on the fence is the 262 cam just barely does lope....I may not be 16 anymore but now that im 40 I dont mind saying I like the lope and its not worth losing it just for 10 ponies, LOL
It was all i could do to swap from the 292 520lift over to a 262 500 lift. I know the 262 works better for the current goals( lower power band and good vacuum) but the Lunati 292 sounded SOOO good. I just dont want to lose what little chop i still have. I know its not the most efficient way to build a truck but Im anal retentive about my exhaust sounds. And with a 300hp setup im not worried about flow that much. It would probably still make 300 with stock exhaust so at this point its all about the sound. Hell im about to mod the exhaust for the 3rd time (adding 9" resonators) just to remove some of the rasp above 2k.
That being said I could always remove the h later if I dont like it right,LOL

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
At 30mph I was getting unbearable drone with two straight pipes with mufflers and short turn downs so I installed a cross pipe using the same size pipe and utilizing a slip joint on one side so I can pull the pipe and mufflers individual and don’t need to fight both at one time. Cut down on the drone a bunch and it is now a pleasure to drive around.

As of exhaust setup 2.2 (2nd mod on 2nd exhaust setup) I have NO drone at all. I added turnouts that are over and inch past the body. The cab doesnt even vibrate much at idle with the mild cam. My biggest complaint is the rasp above 2k rpm. I have 9" resonators im about to add V2.3

As I said to Ricko Im mainly interested in maintaining the tiny bit of chop that my cam gives the exhaust. Its very mild (262dur 110lsa) and completely undiscernible above 700rpm with separated banks of cylinders. I dont want to lose the little I have by blending banks together. IM not trying to make big HP or I would stuck with my lunati 292. Just have the sound I want and burn the tires sometimes.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I think this is funny, my kid is not a motor head ar all, but I was talking to him anyway about some of the choices people make just cause it sounds cool. I said you know those cars that go blop, blop, blop, blop,blop,blop.and making the noise like a top fueler. I said those are over cammed for most practical uses but people run them anyway because they sound cool.You"he probably never heard that.Yea I have. Where? Your Chevelle.. Ahh Damnit!!!

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
Got it! Okay pull 1 plug wire and pull off a vacuum hose. Just kidding.

I had a little turbo mazda when I was a bit younger( not much just a bit). I totally adjusted the vane airflow meter to throw off the IAC so that It would chop while idling. It had an open downpipe and sounded amazingly close to a cammed motor. It had the added benefit of adding more fuel along the entire range.

Man I tell you( you probably already know) them damn pre obd, Eprom, vane airflow cars were something odd to tune. Lots of "tricking" the ecu and bypassing "safety features" in the oe tune. Add boost it cuts timing, add timing it cuts fuel. Until I went Megasquirt V1.3 It was a nightmare. Glad I got away from them.

But all that to say dont tempt me...Ive done some stupid **** all in the name of a good time,LOL

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
My experience with my H-pipe is it cleaned up the popcorn type sound and made it more smooth, it also mellows out the tone slightly. I was mainly looking for the scavenging and getting rid of the popcorn sound. I've got 2.5 inch all the way back same with H-pipe.

Swearbody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
355 sbc
My experience with my H-pipe is it cleaned up the popcorn type sound and made it more smooth, it also mellows out the tone slightly. I was mainly looking for the scavenging and getting rid of the popcorn sound. I've got 2.5 inch all the way back same with H-pipe.

Thats what im hoping my resonators do. Im gonna weld an h pipe on though and see how i like it. If i dont Ill cut a pipe in half and weld the holes shut. i have tons of exhaust pipe so experimenting only cost electricity and wire

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Welding in the H pipe leaves another place for rust to form and eventually leak... and then need repair.
It just never ends!

What's rust? We don't have that in Commiefornia.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128