FM acting weird in Factory Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap--metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Calvin
Truck Year
'85, '81
Truck Model
K10, K20
Engine Size
305, 350
So the factory FM radio in my K10 has been acting goofy for the last several months. I can pick up FM just fine in the Minneapolis area and immediate suburbs, but as soon as I get out of the county FM reception is non-existent. AM still works fine. It's like I cross over the river and FM disappears. This has been fairly consistent, except I did get FM back at a normal range on Saturday last weekend when I was driving home from hunting. That only lasted for the drive though, as FM was non-existent when I got south of the river a day later on Sunday.

I read another post here about the AM/FM slide switch getting dirty. Maybe that's my issue??? If so, any ideas or suggestions on how to clean that? I've never had a radio apart before...

Any other suggestions or observations would be appreciated. AM radio pretty much sucks (I can't take any more BS programs about createne) and my brother makes fun of my poorly functioning radio. I'd like to get it fixed.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Maybe clean the connection of the antenna to the radio, too.

I had bought a period correct antenna for Crusty Biscuit, and it would extend way up, so I figured it would great signal when traveling far away from the repeaters. I didn't pick up anything, not even in town. I couldn't figure it out. Finally, I tested the antenna circuit and the danged connection at the antenna itself was bad. It wasn't making contact. If you have a fender-mounted antenna, may check that connection too, and/or check the ohms of the antenna circuit.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Get some electrical contact cleaner spray. Remove the radio and top cover. Drench the inside with the stuff, working the controls. Pay particular attention to the switches. Spray inside the switches through the gaps. Let it dry for a couple hours with the top off. Have resurrected many radios this way.

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
If you have the antenna in the window, they weren't worth a crap new, but after all these years, I'd bet the wire is broken where it goes between the plug and the window.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk