FiTech Fuel Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jhorter1

Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The problem is trying to find a reliable pump that will act as a puller from the stock tanks. Your easiest, most reliable method would be to swap to a full 1987 dual fuel tank setup with EP381 pumps in each tank. I guess the main question is... "what are you doing that you need new fuel pumps?" What swap specifically are you doing?

jhorter1

Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
The problem is trying to find a reliable pump that will act as a puller from the stock tanks. Your easiest, most reliable method would be to swap to a full 1987 dual fuel tank setup with EP381 pumps in each tank. I guess the main question is... "what are you doing that you need new fuel pumps?" What swap specifically are you doing?
I have an LQ4 and 4L80E out of a 99 2500 Silverado. I really don’t want to replace the tanks if I don’t have to. From what I understand I watching FiTech YouTube videos is that the stock fuel pumps feed these units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have an LQ4 and 4L80E out of a 99 2500 Silverado. I really don’t want to replace the tanks if I don’t have to. From what I understand I watching FiTech YouTube videos is that the stock fuel pumps feed these units.

An 84 would not have fuel pumps in the tanks... your fuel pump would have originally been on the engine. Most in-line pumps I've seen like that are designed to push. It kills them having to pull up through the original sending unit. That link you posted has only two reviews and one of them is about it failing twice in three months... I'm betting that guy is pulling from the tanks and doesn't have a pusher motor feeding it. You will be at almost the same price or even a little cheaper to just buy brand new tanks and brand new pumps/senders. It's not hard to swap the tanks... I pulled, cleaned, and reinstalled both 20 gal saddle tanks on my '80 with new sending units in an afternoon. If your LQ4 doesn't have a return line, you can put a corvette filter/regulator between the switching valve and the fuel rail to control the pressure and then you would have an almost completely factory GM fuel system with redundant tanks/pumps.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is their version of the Edelbrock Remote Sump. Basically your'e fuel system remains the same between the tanks and mechanical fuel pump. Your stock mechanical low pressure pump feeds into this unit and the internal high pressure pump feeds the EFI. I use this system on my 85 with dual tanks.

It works good......except, it doesn't like the underhood heat in the summer and tends to boil the fuel causing hard restarts. It's also a lot of plumbing and extra "stuff." I will be doing it the right way this spring and buying new 87+ tanks with the internal baffles and pumps. Going this route requires the later (TBI) high pressure 6 port switching valve as well.

Save the $300-400 on that remote sump and use it to cover the newer tanks. It's a better system all the way around.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
This is their version of the Edelbrock Remote Sump. Basically your'e fuel system remains the same between the tanks and mechanical fuel pump. Your stock mechanical low pressure pump feeds into this unit and the internal high pressure pump feeds the EFI. I use this system on my 85 with dual tanks.

It works good......except, it doesn't like the underhood heat in the summer and tends to boil the fuel causing hard restarts. It's also a lot of plumbing and extra "stuff." I will be doing it the right way this spring and buying new 87+ tanks with the internal baffles and pumps. Going this route requires the later (TBI) high pressure 6 port switching valve as well.

Save the $300-400 on that remote sump and use it to cover the newer tanks. It's a better system all the way around.

He has an LS... so no mechanical fuel pump, which pretty much guarantees that thing would burn up very fast.

jhorter1

Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Thanks guys I appreciate the help! That’s the info I was looking for.

jhorter1

Reaction score
First Name
Jarrod
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Where does everyone get their tanks, pumps etc. from? Any to stay away from?

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks guys I appreciate the help! That’s the info I was looking for.

One more thing to consider is that there ARE pumps that are meant to do exactly what you are asking for... but they are stupid expensive and usually LOUD. Also, if you have a failure of that kind of pump, you will have a hard time sourcing a replacement and it would be your only one. If you go with an 87 TBI tank/switch and 96-2000 Vortec pumps(EP381), you will have all OEM components that can be sourced at any local auto parts store and also the redundancy of dual pumps. The cost will be pretty similar for both solutions and probably significantly cheaper for the OEM solution if you can source a factory 87 TBI truck to get the used OEM parts from.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
He has an LS... so no mechanical fuel pump, which pretty much guarantees that thing would burn up very fast.

I overlooked the LS part. He could use rail mounted pumps near the tanks but then again its a so-so fix. Just pay a little more up front and do it right, then forget about it and enjoy. Lord knows how much time and $$$ I've wasted trying quick fixes.u

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Summit has the sending units. I usually would use rockauto or a local auto parts store, but it looks like everyone is out of stock right now.
Drivers side sending unit: ~$100 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-692-027
Passenger side: Not available anywhere I can find... maybe need to find used or wait for corona to let them be available again
Tanks: $70-80/ea https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...l+350cid+v8,1061660,fuel+&+air,fuel+tank,6268
Fuel Pump: $88.80/ea https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/gm+genuine,EP381,fuel+pump,6256

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk