First stereo build...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
After thinking about doing an 8 lug swap next I realized that I need to spend more time driving this pig then wrenching on it. Decided that I would be better off putting a stereo back in it.....after I tore out - parted out the one that the PO installed.

Not looking for anything too fancy, but I do want nice sound and a clean install...pretty much starting from scratch. Type of music will vary from rock -classic rock -country - alternative. Lots of Foo Fighters, ACDC, Jason Aldean, Eagles, Kid Rock, Seether, Hank Jr., Cult....

While I dont have specific part numbers picked out yet, I do have an idea of what I want:

Obviously a decent head unit. Something with iPod-Phone capability is essential with USB port and pre-amp outputs. Single DIN, will be mounted in the Tuffy console.

I will run 6.5" rounds in the door panels....mostly because the holes are already there and Im not interested in sepnding extra $$ for kick panel boxes.

I also already have holes for 6X9's in the rear qtr. panels just under the ashtrays, so a second set will go there.

Heres where it may get a bit complicated, but Im willing to put in the extra effort.... I want 10" sub's mounted in the rear most portion of the rear qtr panels.... if your familiar with a K5 or Burb' they would pretty much mount in the same sport where the oe rear speakers mount.

Im pretty green with car audio and do understand some of the physics involved regarding sub enclosures.... I will figure that part out later.

What I need to know is what type - style - size amp will I need. 1 for the subs only and a second for the other speakers or is it feasable to run all 6 speakers off 1 amp?

Subs will be 10" shallow, similar to:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00281EII4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TGMCZ4O2P52Z

Door - Panel speakers will be similar to:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KOME7G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2TGMCZ4O2P52Z

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CLYOJQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ASH1H6YCFH4EF

My biggest concern is matching the amp to the speakers.... I dont mind doing two amps if needed, one would be nice.

In short my question is how do you match an amp to speakers??? I havent setteld on a brand yet, but I am pretty particular about everything coming from 1 manufacturer if possible, 2 at most. I dont want a patch-work stereo.

Thoughts - ideas?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
You must be registered for see images attach
Sub'd, I like the other mods you've done so I'm gonna be watching this.

I would consider some Fat Mat or similar in the doors. I have a mild system (4 6x9's on 60 watts rms) and things start buzzin' when I hit the base boost.

and I can't believe I beat 89S to the popcorn

mako81

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You could probably get away with one amp if you run all four speakers to the front 2 channels and bridge the rear for the subs, but you will have to look for subs that can run 8 ohms.

Another option would be a 5 channel amp. I might also look at a single 10 of higher quality, you may prefer the sound quality that you get.

A good place to look around is sonic electronix, sometimes they have close out items for cheap and their compare function is pretty helpful.

Last edited:

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
like suggested you could look into a 5 channel amp and have front rear and mono sub. You wont need subs at 8 ohms, but an amp that can drive the impedance that your subs are at. 2 subs at 4 ohms in series would give you 8 ohms, and 2 4 ohms in parralles would give you 2 ohms. series multiplys an parralel divides.
I agree that a single good quality 10 would sound better than 2 cheap 10s.
when I pick out my setups, I try to have a amp that has a lower output than the subs and only run it at about 80% so I dont blow the subs or burn up the amp.

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Point noted. With the space Im working in though Im not sure a regular sub will work, why I was looking at shallow.

I was checking out the new Kicker Comp RT's last night...

dhamp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
R-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Are you looking for something that sounds good inside while you're driving? Or are you wanting to shake & rattle when you roll?

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
matching amp to speakers? not really much of an issue. you cant underpower speakers, and a large amp wont fry em if you dont turn it up too loud. some people put a strong emphasis on headroom. as far as resistence, thats not an issue as long as you dont go too low. most are good down to 2 ohms. i suggest the soundstream rub5.800. i got one for 180. its cheap and you could run everything off it. id run the fronts on the first 2 channels, the rest on the second 2, and the subs on the 5th. now as far as a head unit, i strongly suggest the clarion cz702. 160 bucks and control galore. dsp's with the same features cost HUNDREDS of dollars. this is a dsp and a hu from a reputed brand. for the price, and no nonsense audio control it CANNOT be beat. i plan on getting one myself.

guitarfreak235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
86 86
Truck Model
k10 c20
Engine Size
350 350
like suggested you could look into a 5 channel amp and have front rear and mono sub. You wont need subs at 8 ohms, but an amp that can drive the impedance that your subs are at. 2 subs at 4 ohms in series would give you 8 ohms, and 2 4 ohms in parralles would give you 2 ohms. series multiplys an parralel divides.
I agree that a single good quality 10 would sound better than 2 cheap 10s.
when I pick out my setups, I try to have a amp that has a lower output than the subs and only run it at about 80% so I dont blow the subs or burn up the amp.

absolutely incorrect
series ADDS.
parallel: 1/Rtotal= 1/r1+1/r2.

notverrysmart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
EJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size