First engine swap: ‘85 454 into ‘79 C10

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have 781 heads on my 496. It is a low rpm powerhouse.

You must be registered for see images attach

Just what I like to hear! That looks NICE by the way!

Don't be ashamed of ratchet straps, that's perfectly acceptable.

Good lol. Glad I’m not out of line in using what I’ve got.

This week’s progress will be slow. 454 is waiting on gaskets and a few parts in the mail. I think I will do the oil pump because if this motor needs to come out again it’s getting rebuilt slowly and properly.

I found the PS bracket was still on the 350 so that’s one less part I need. If the starter bolts up (and has the right tooth count) then I’m golden.

Project as it sits. Forgive the mess lol.

next phase of the project will be ascertaining what was damaged in the wiring loom that runs along the firewall. Several wires and the plastic housing were draped across the passenger side exhaust and burned right through. There are also some mystery wires by the brake booster. Thankfully electronics and wiring are my most developed skills so it shouldn’t be too much work to sort.

Garage dog deserves a shout out for keeping me company throughout. He is always impossible to photograph.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
FYI, don't toss those factory exhaust manifolds. They are stainless steel and are sought after. They were only used from 1/1/85 to the end of production on 1986 models.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
FYI, don't toss those factory exhaust manifolds. They are stainless steel and are sought after. They were only used from 1/1/85 to the end of production on 1986 models.

I didn’t plan on tossing them but thanks for mentioning it. My K30 also has a set though the smog pumps are long gone. Any idea what they’re worth?

I start classes again in a few weeks and do not want this project to stall out, no pun intended. Time is a luxury I usually do not have as a working single parent in college. That said, I might burn up my last vacation day this Friday so that I can get the 454 in the truck while the kiddo is in daycare.

Final to-do’s before I drop the engine in:

-oil pump (precautionary change)
-oil pan gasket
-valve cover gaskets
-remove water pump
-repair wiring harness by bell housing (time permitting??)

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sold the 350 for $50 last night. Better than nothin’.

Nevermind doing the oil pump. I will not pay the inflated local parts stores prices to special order parts I could have already bought on eBay.

All I really have left to do is to slap it back together and slam it in the truck. Expect that update late tomorrow.

Budget:

$1950 budget
+$50 sold old block
-$750 engine
-$500 truck
-$68 gasket sets
-$168 headers
-$34 plug wires

=$480 left!

The incomplete and growing to-do list.

Parts!

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Engine is in. Only took an hour and a half to get it bolted to the trans and mounts. Buuuuuut... I made a dumb move and didn’t double check the flex plate. The one on there is a 6x wide pattern. I went to a local trans shop and bought a 3x wide 3x small dual pattern plate. Total gamble but it may work. Gonna try to do that with the engine still in the truck.

The to-do’s are growing: the PS pump brackets do not fit. I’ll need one of those.

There’s also a lot of “what’s this thing do?” type questions. You’ll realize quickly that I know how to use tools but I am more engineer than mechanic lol.

For example: where is the normail oil pressure port on these engjnes?

There’s a metal line out the back of the TH350 that runs up to the engine bay. I have no idea what it’s for.

Here’s a thing (sensor?) up at the front of the block on the driver’s side. I’m not sure what it is.

And the bottom plug on the same thing.

There’s also two more objects in the center of the heads I’m not quite sure of. Here’s some photos.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Heres some help... metal line from tranny up goes to your modulator right where its sitting, theres a rubber hose that connects them.
Pic 2 looks like your oil pressure sender wich is usually on the back behind the distributor idk why it would be there.
Pic 4 is your temp sensor where your wire goes on.
And the last pic idk

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
One more newb question: which lines are in/out on the fuel pump?

It all started out so well. This was 7:05 am...

Fun times. Surprisingly not that hard to do solo in your driveway, even for a first timer.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Heres the temp sensor in my 350

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Not sure on the fuel pump as im not sure what you have goin on there... lol

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im thinking the dirty hose thats laying next to the electric pump would be your out line from the pump.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Again on a 350 but it should be the same. The line on the right goes up to the carb. The left comes from the tank.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Picture 2 is correctly ID'ed as the oil sender unit. Photo 4 is for the water temp gauge. Photo 5 (right cylinder head?) is the temp sender for the factory aux electric fan. I believe this works as a ground for the circuit, but I may be wrong. This part is out of production for OEM and aftermarket, so if you're not going to use it let me know. I'd love to have a spare. I believe it kicks on the fan at 215 degrees.

Below is my fuel pump. The "S" bend 3/8" is the inlet. The smaller slip on hose (1/4") is the fuel return and the threaded fitting feeds the carb. The 4WD pump is the one on the left and middle. Napa and Rockauto kept sending me the pump on the right, which is too long for the 454 4WD. It seems all other 454's can use that model pump.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you guys! You’ve saved me hours of head scratching and google searches. Also cool of you for not making fun of my dumbassery. I just needed to know what’s what on the mechanical fuel pump. Then again I probably could have looked at my K30 but that would’ve made too much sense... d’oh!

Craig, this truck will be anything but factory. That’s a neat part. As long as I don’t use it for my own convoluted electric fan setup, it’s yours.

Got the trans back in, bell housing mounted, cross member back in, and driveshaft back in. I’m genuinely surprised by how quickly I did a lot of this alone with proper tools.

The only thing I couldn’t do myself? Put the hood back on.

The only thing I didn’t do? Bolt up the flex plate and converter. (The holes line up now!) I’m just absolutely beat at this point.

Next few things I need to source:

trans cooler lines
PS pump bracket
alternator bracket (rear)

Thank you again for the help. This truck may still run for under 2k!

All together now (sort of)

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Thank you guys! You’ve saved me hours of head scratching and google searches. Also cool of you for not making fun of my dumbassery. I just needed to know what’s what on the mechanical fuel pump. Then again I probably could have looked at my K30 but that would’ve made too much sense... d’oh!

Craig, this truck will be anything but factory. That’s a neat part. As long as I don’t use it for my own convoluted electric fan setup, it’s yours.

Got the trans back in, bell housing mounted, cross member back in, and driveshaft back in. I’m genuinely surprised by how quickly I did a lot of this alone with proper tools.

The only thing I couldn’t do myself? Put the hood back on.

The only thing I didn’t do? Bolt up the flex plate and converter. (The holes line up now!) I’m just absolutely beat at this point.

Next few things I need to source:

trans cooler lines
PS pump bracket
alternator bracket (rear)

Thank you again for the help. This truck may still run for under 2k!

All together now (sort of)

I took off the hood on my 78 and put it back on by myself... wasnt fun or easy but a necessity so i did it. And as for your dumb assery... weve all been in that same boat, gotta learn somehow! But at the end of the day when your beat and worn out you have the satisfaction of knowing you did it. That feeling of self accomplishment is great!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrayWK